- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 14 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 17+ yrs
- max group size 14
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Cruise along the Karawari River to view crocodiles basking on the banks and locals paddling their slender dugout canoes with long, curved oars.
- Attend the Beliem Valley Culture Festival and meet the Dani people—known for their costumes using feathers, orchidfibre fabrics, and boar tusks—and witness a mock battle and reenactments of traditional ceremonies.
- Take nature walks to search for unique flora and fauna, including parrots, birds of paradise, flightless cassowaries, and nearly 2,700 species of orchids.
- Travel to remote areas where you will stay in comfortable lodges with fantastic panoramic views of the surrounding wilderness.
We traverse “the land of the unexpected” from the spectacular lowland rainforests on the coastal plains to 15,000-foot-high peaks our tour of the world’s second largest island, New Guinea. The island is divided in half between Indonesia and Papua New Guinea. Explore the fascinating villages along the Karawari River; the spectacular flora, fauna, and unique culture of the highlands in Rondon Ridge; meet the diverse tribes from the highlands of Wamena, and the Baliem valley during the Baliem Valley Cultural festival.We’ll do our best to adhere to the scheduled itinerary, but in the spirit of our expeditionary style of travel we may deviate slightly to take full advantage of encounters with the destination and its people, culture, and wildlife.
Day 1: Arrive in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
Day 2: Board our group flight to the Sepik River area, via Mount Hagen.
Day 3-4: Explore ‘Arambak’ country, one of the most remote and unspoiled areas of
Papua New Guinea.
Day 5: Board our charter flight to Mount Hagen.
Day 6-7: At 7,100 feet above sea level, Rondon offers pristine highlands rainforest.
Over 180 species of birds have been recorded here, including 10 species of
birds of paradise.
Day 8: Bid farewell to Rondon.
Day 9: After breakfast, board our flight to Vanimo.
Day 10: After breakfast, board our short flight to Wamena, the largest town in
Indonesia’s West Papua highlands.
Day 11-12: Spend two full days exploring in and around the stunning Jayawijaya Mountains
and magical Baliem Valley.
Day 13: After breakfast, board our flight to Jayapura.
Day 14: Today, board your flight to Bali.
- All accommodations
- All group meals, including selected beverages with lunch and dinner
- Flights within the itinerary
- All excursions in the company of a world-class expedition leader and local guides
- All gratuities
- All entrance fees
- Arrival and departure transfers on group dates
- Gift certificates for recommended expedition gear
- Medical expense coverage and emergency evacuation insurance
- Any international flights to Port Moresby and from Bali are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Secret Valleys of New Guinea tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 350+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Secret Valleys of New Guinea tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 15 August 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 15 August 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Secret Valleys of New Guinea tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Secret Valleys of New Guinea tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.