- Booking Type Instant booking
- duration 44 days
- tour type Small group
- age requirement 15-99 yrs
- max group size 16
- guiding method Fully guided
- Tour Code BM-3475
- Footprint Carbonneutral CO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Operated in English
- Whether its slumbering on the sands of Playa del Carmen, gazing at the pyramids of Tikal or haggling in the vibrant markets of Chichicastenango, you'll experience multiple sides of Central America.
- Get to know contemporary Maya life during a homestay in San Juan La Laguna, a lakeside village where you can share meals and conversation with a local family.
- Hike, cycle or zip-line through the steamy cloud forests of Monteverde – there’s so many ways to experience the lush canopies and unique Central American wildlife.
- Cruise up the Rio Dulce to your waterfront jungle lodge, then maybe grab a beer and relax while the sounds of nature fill the air.
- Put your chef hat on and help prepare a traditional Caribbean dinner with a local family in their home in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca.
Explore incredible worlds above and below the water through some of Central America's best. Amble down the Yucatan Peninsula to the island paradise of Caye Caulker, then cutting inland, hit the lush jungle around Tikal, cruise to the wide river Rio Dulce and end up among the clouds in Panajachel and Antigua. Continue to the relaxing beach vibes on the dark sands of the Pacific Coast of El Salvador, spot colourful birds perched on the colonial facades of Suchitoto, stand in the shadow of mighty Arenal Volcano and spot sloths among the canopy of Monteverde, then admire the colonial towns, steamy jungles of Costa Rice and Panama, stopping off at the stunning islands of Bocas del Toro. With your local leader to steer you in the direction of the best bars and surf breaks plus a small group of adventurers to enjoy them with, you can’t go wrong on this carefree Central American journey.
Day 1: Playa del Carmen
Day 2: Playa del Carmen
Day 3: Chetumal
Day 4: Caye Caulker
Day 5: Caye Caulker
Day 6: Caye Caulker
Day 7: San Ignacio
Day 8: San Ignacio
Day 9: Tikal National Park
Day 10: Rio Dulce
Day 11: Rio Dulce
Day 12: Antigua
Day 13: San Jorge La Laguna
Day 14: Panajachel
Day 15: Antigua
Day 16: Antigua
Day 17: Antigua
Day 18: Copan
Day 19: Suchitoto
Day 20: Suchitoto
Day 21: El Cuco
Day 22: El Cuco
Day 23: Leon
Day 24: Granada
Day 25: Granada
Day 26: Ometepe Island
Day 27: Ometepe Island
Day 28: Monteverde
Day 29: Monteverde
Day 30: La Fortuna
Day 31: La Fortuna
Day 32: San Jose
Day 33: San Jose
Day 34: Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Day 35: Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Day 36: Bocas del Toro / Isla Colon
Day 37: Bocas del Toro / Isla Colon
Day 38: Bocas del Toro / Isla Colon
Day 39: Boquete
Day 40: Boquete
Day 41: Santa Catalina
Day 42: Santa Catalina
Day 43: Panama City
Day 44: Panama City
Day 45: Panama City
- Hotel (36 nights), Multishare Hotel (1 night), Hotel with shared facilities (2 nights), Homestay (1 night), Lodge (3 nights)
- 1 Breakfast, 3 Dinners
- Private vehicle , Local bus , Taxi , Private boat , Shared boat , Ferry
- An expert tour leader
- Caye Caulker - Leader-led orientation walk
- San Ignacio - Leader-led orientation walk
- Tikal National Park - Tikal archaeological site (entrance fee, no guide)
- Leader-led Informal Spanish Lesson
- Chichicastenango - Market Visit
- Chichicastenango - Shaman Visit
- Panajachel - Leader-led orientation walk
- San Juan La Laguna - Traditional Maya Homestay
- Antigua - Leader-led orientation walk
- Santa Apolonia - Traditional Pottery Demonstration
- Copan Ruins - Visit
- Suchitoto - Salvadoran Pupusa cooking demonstration
- Suchitoto - Leader led orientation walk
- Suchitoto - Indigo Dyeing Demonstration
- Leon - Leader led orientation walk
- Granada - Breakfast at El Cafe de las Sonrisas
- Monteverde - Leader-led orientation walk
- La Fortuna - Leader led orientation walk
- San Jose - Orientation Walk
- Sarapiqui – Night Jungle Walk
- Puerto Viejo de Talamanca - Leader-led orientation walk
- Puerto Viejo - Hands-on dinner in local home
- Boquete - Leader-led orientation walk
- Leader - led Informal Spanish Lesson
- Panama City - Leader-led walk in Casco Viejo
- Panama City - Leader-led walk along part of the Cinta Costera (Causeway) including a visit to the Fish Market
- Any international flights to Playa Del Carmen and from Panama City are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Best of Central America tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Earn US$ 168+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Best of Central America tour. You can cancel the tour up to 58 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 57 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 28 November 2023, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 28 November 2023, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 57 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Best of Central America tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Best of Central America tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you
- This trip is made for travellers who value their independence but also want the benefit of a local leader and a group of like-minded travellers. The itinerary includes basic accommodation and has free time for activities when your leader will offer suggestions. Please budget spending money for optional activities you want to partake in.
- Some long travel days are involved, especially from El Cuco to Leon with a 9-hour overland journey. This trip includes some travel by local transport, which can be basic and challenging, but is also a fantastic way to rub shoulders with the locals and get under the skin of a place, whilst being mindful for the environment. This trip also includes time spent travelling in a private vehicle with your group. Extra space can be tight, and conditions may feel a little cramped. It’s all part of the adventure and a great way to get to know your fellow travellers and watch the passing scenery. This is a real Central American adventure, after all!
- As this trip covers destinations across eight countries, you'll need to make several border crossings. While these are usually straightforward, please prepare to be patient. Books, podcasts and car games will be your best friend.
- Central America is tropical, so expect a hot and humid climate. Make sure you protect yourself from the sun, wear comfortable, light clothing and stay hydrated – especially when out on walking tours.
- The homestay is a wonderful opportunity to witness everyday local life. Conditions during your homestay in San Jorge La Laguna are basic. Your room will consist of a couple of beds with clean bedding, and the bathroom will most likely be shared with the rest of the family. A hearty home-cooked breakfast and dinner will be served during your stay, which can be a lot more basic than what you're used to. However, corn, rice and beans are very filling.
- Try to learn as many Spanish words as you can. Locals are very friendly, but also shy, so you'll need to make plenty of effort to break the ice. Attempting to communicate in Spanish is a great way of showing you care.
- From walking the Costa Rican border crossing to optional full-day volcano hikes, this trip can involve a lot of walking. Please ensure you bring sturdy walking shoes and comfortable clothes. To make the most of the trip, it's best if you have at least a moderate level of fitness.
- There will be times when you have to walk with your luggage, and for this reason, we recommend packing light and using a backpack or something easy to carry.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Hygiene and safety guidelines will be followed to ensure your well being is looked after during travels.