- Bicycle tour
- duration 9 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 15
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Discovering Parma and its delicacies, such as the Parmigiano Reggiano and Prosciutto di Parma
- Exploring Lucca and its city walls by bike
- Soaking up the medieval atmosphere of Pontremoli and Monteriggioni
- Enjoying stunning views of hilltop villages, open valleys, cypress woods and olive groves
Stunning cycle on the second Italian stage of the Via Francigena from Parma, across the Appennines, to the heart of Tuscany. This section of the Via Francigena encompasses some of the best landscapes of Italy. Starting in the gastronomic heaven of Parma, an initially demanding but beautiful cycle will lead you through medieval hamlets and towns awash with history. This breathtaking route continues across the Appennines, through the green countryside and briefly towards the sea. You then plunge into the little-known region of Lunigiana before cycling into the rolling hills of Tuscany. You will visit the world-renowned historic Tuscan towns of Lucca and San Gimignano, and then cycle one of the most beautiful sections of the Via Francigena as you make your way towards Siena. En route you will bask in the stunning landscapes and immerse yourself in the history and culture of these regions. You will stop to visit parish churches which are a thousand years old, explore archaeological finds discovered at the Abbey of San Caprasio, and marvel at tower-crowned castles. And of course, you will enjoy sampling the delicious local food in each town you stop in.
Day 1 : Arrive Parma
Day 2 : A demanding cycle to Berceto past ancient churches (74km/46mi)
Day 3 : Continue to Aulla, crossing the Appennines (53km/33mi)
Day 4 : Cycle in green countryside past medieval villages en route to Massa (48km/30mi)
Day 5 : Cycle along the sea, then over Tuscan hills to Lucca (52km/32.5mi)
Day 6 : Cross the river Arno to San Miniato (46km/28.5mi)
Day 7 : Continue through splendid scenery to San Gimignano (41km/25.5mi)
Day 8 : Cycle the Tuscan hills and through charming ancient towns to Siena (50km/31mi)
Day 9 : Trip concludes Siena (or continue to Rome)
- 8 nights in charming B&Bs and 3 star hotels (hotel taxes extra, payable locally - allow €10-12)
- Information pack including smartphone app with maps plus a route book per room booked
- 8 breakfasts
- Luggage transfer (max 1 piece per person) - excess charges apply and must be pre-paid
- Emergency hotline
- Hybrid 21 speed rental bike with front bag map holder, odometer, pannier, lock, repair kit and helmet (e-bikes available - supplement applies)
- Bike theft insurance
- Credenziale - the pilgrim’s passport
- Travel to Parma and from Siena
- Lunches and dinner daily and all beverages
- Entrance fees to museums, parks and archaeological sites
- Items of a personal nature
- Tour guide – this is a self guided trip
- Travel insurance
- Hotel taxes (allow €10-12, payable locally)
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 98 today.
- Earn US$ 65+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Cycle the Via Francigena - Parma to Siena tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 11 May 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 11 May 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Cycle the Via Francigena - Parma to Siena tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Cycle the Via Francigena - Parma to Siena tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be implemented during transportation and followed on the accommodation premises as well.