- Walking tour
- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 15
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Following in the footsteps of pilgrims from centuries ago
- Discover the rugged beauty of inland Sicily
- Visiting the charming towns of Prizzi, Racalmuto and Sutera
- Feasting on culinary delights and tasting superb Sicilian wines
Cross Sicily through ancient landscapes on a pilgrimage walk to discover the very heart of the island. Travel by foot along the 'regie trazzere' or ancient road from Palermo and the Tyrrhenian in the north to Agrigento on the southern Mediterranean coast to discover the rugged beauty of inland Sicily with its archaeological treasures and friendly locals who have been welcoming pilgrims for centuries. The Magna Via Francigena was officially re-opened in 2017 in celebration of its rich historical legacy as a trade route connecting Africa and the Middle East to Europe. It runs through ancient landscapes to extraordinary villages clinging to the cliffs and some suprisingly green hills among lakes and rolling mountains. However what is striking about the Magna Via Francigena is the influence of those who occupied the land over the years, from the Greeks and the Romans, to the people of Byzantium and the Moors, and the legacies they left behind in the form of mozaics and other ancient relics, traditions and culinary influences. On arrival in Agrigento, dip your toes into the sea, receive your Testamonium at the cathedral and revel in the satisfaction of having walked across Sicily.
Day 1 : Arrive Palermo
Day 2 : Walk to Corleone through a landscape of rocky gorges and shepherds fields (4.5 or 6hrs)
Day 3 : Pass by waterfalls, vineyards and orchards enroute to medieval Prizzi (5hrs)
Day 4 : Through a surprisingly green landscape to Castronovo di Sicilia, transfer to Cammarata (5hrs)
Day 5 : Walk in the shadow of Mount Cammarata (1600m) to Sutera (4.5hrs)
Day 6 : Descend to the river Gallodoro and continue to Racalmuto (6hrs)
Day 7 : Walk to the Baroque village of Aragona, train or optional transfer to Agrigento (4hrs)
Day 8 : Trip concludes
- 7 nights in 3 star hotels, B&B's and Agriturismo on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities (hotel taxes extra, payable locally - allow €5-10)
- Information pack including roadbook and maps per room booked
- 7 breakfasts, 1 dinner
- Luggage transfers
- Transfer from Palermo to Santa Cristina Gela on day 2 and Castronovo to Cammarata on day 4
- Navigational app
- Emergency hotline and SMS alert
- Credenziale - pilgrim's passport
- Travel to Palermo and from Agrigento
- Meals not included - lunches and 6 dinners. Allow EUR15-20 for each dinner and EUR5 for a picnic lunch.
- Train or optional private transfer from Aragona to Agrigento on day 7
- Items of a personal nature including drinks, souvenirs, phone calls, internet and laundry etc.
- Entrance fees (museums, galleries etc.)
- Guide - this is a self guided tour
- Travel insurance
- Hotel tax - allow approximately EUR2 per day - payable directly to the hotel
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 60 today.
- Earn US$ 40+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Sicily - Magna Via Francigena tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 13 May 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 13 May 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Sicily - Magna Via Francigena tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Sicily - Magna Via Francigena tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be implemented during transportation and followed on the accommodation premises as well.