- duration 3 hours
- tour type Private
- age requirement 5-79 yrs
- guiding method Fully guided
- Tour Code BM-757
- Footprint Carbonneutral CO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Operated in English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Explore the "wild catacombs" in the very centre of the city
- Visit a real antinuclear bunker
- Learn more about the history of Odessa
- See underground rivers
The catacombs are a network of underground tunnels and mazes near Odessa. Most of the catacombs are the former quarries from which the building stone was mined. At present, the length of the Odessa catacombs is estimated at approximately 2.5 — 3 thousand km.
The catacombs had an important place in the life of Odessa at different times. In the 18-19 centuries the catacombs served as a conduit for smugglers, stashes for different gangs, prison for women, sold into slavery.
During October revolution they were a gathering place for members of the underground organizations and location for printery of Bolshevik newspaper. During the World War II, partisans and a sabotage units took refuge in the catacombs of Odessa. In the years after the war (Cold War period) a system of catacombs used for the construction of anti-nuclear bunkers.
- Guided tour
- Hard hats, gloves and lanterns
- Personal expenses
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this product is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.Other Practical InformationWe advise to have warm comfortable clothes and sports shoes.