- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 9 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Experience the natural rolling hills and stunning beauty of the Appalachian Mountains during a night camping in Shenandoah National Park.
- Enjoy a full day to explore the USA capital, Washington DC, at your leisure. See the White House, Capitol Hill and the National Mall, and feel small next to the statue of Abraham Lincoln.
- Deep fried and deeply delicious – experience the big bold food of the USA. Munch on a po’boy sandwich in New Orleans and eat crispy fried chicken in Memphis.
- Finish up your trip with a night in New Orleans, where you can dance the night away with new friends on Bourbon Street.
Cut through the heart of the USA on this nine-day Lonely Planet Experience, powered by Intrepid. Travel from iconic city to iconic city as you hit the road from New York to New Orleans, snaking through the Appalachian Mountains via Philadelphia, Washington DC, Nashville and Memphis. This overland odyssey is the perfect introduction to the diverse appeal of the United States. Chow down on a po’boy in the Big Easy, camp in the Appalachian Mountains and check out the Liberty Bell in Philly. Enjoy the organisational expertise of Intrepid, a local leader on hand to offer insider tips at every turn, and the freedom to follow their advice or go your own way.
New York (Newark)
- Camping (with facilities) (5 nights), Hotel (2 nights), Hostel (1 night)
- 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner
- Private vehicle
- Philadelphia - City highlights stop
- Shenandoah National Park
- Memphis - World Famous Fried Chicken Lunch
- New Orleans - Po'Boy dinner
- Any international flights to Newark and from New Orleans are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Big Apple to Big Easy tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 68+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Big Apple to Big Easy tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 23 days before departure. For any departures within 02 September 2020 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
Big Apple to Big Easy tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Big Apple to Big Easy tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Lonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
- This trip involves camping, giving you access to more remote destinations at close proximity, and the joy of camping under the night skies and beside a campfire. This is a participatory trip – a fancy way of saying you’re not just along for the ride, but you are part of a team! It’s all about giving your new travel mates a hand, and everyone knows there’s nothing worse than trying to put up a tent on your own!
- That teamwork also extends to our optional food kitty. This involves pooling your resources (approximately USD 10 per day) to cover the cost of meals. It means we can bulk purchase items and cook our own food – though there’s always the chance to use it for the occasional pizza night or s’mores by the campfire! The kitty is optional and for your convenience, so if you've got specific dietary requirements you can opt out to purchase (and cook) your own food.
- North America is a world of endless possibilities – that’s why our trips are designed so they fit together as (not quite endless) combinations. This means that while you might just be starting your trip, some of your new travel mates may continue to Lon Angeles on the Best of America tour (SSRCC).
- Traffic in and out of the cities can be hectic, especially during holiday periods. There may be delays, so be prepared to take part in car games to keep you entertained.
- You'll be travelling in a van with a group of travellers, so conditions may feel a little cramped. This is all part of the adventure, however, and you might even make some long-term friends.
- Washington DC is a city that's best explored on foot, which means a lot of walking. A moderate level of fitness will help but there are also optional city bike tours available.
- This trip only allows for one night in Nashville. Although you'll get almost a full day to explore this great city, you might have to move quickly to see everything on your to-do list.
Last modified (date)
Food and dietary requirements
Climate and seasonal
A couple of rules
Your fellow travellers