- Walk with a retired NYPD officer who will guide you through the criminal past of NYC.
- Learn the turbulent histories of domestic and immigrant gangs in the Lower East Side.
- Learn the historical ‘crimeline’ of NYC, from immigrant gangs to white collar criminals.
- Enjoy a small group of max 15 people that allows you to easily interact with your guide.
On the Lower East Side, you’ll see tenement buildings where Irish immigrants lived in subhuman conditions. The most notorious area here was the ‘Five Points’ - a junction so infamous for its gang crime (rumor has it some even lived in burrows under the streets!) that Charles Dickens came to check it out himself on a trip to NYC, not believing it could live up to its status. It did, of course, as your guide will tell you.
Irish gangs weren’t the only group to terrorise the Lower East Side however. Throughout the 1900s the Italian mafia kept Little Italy in a choke hold, while the 1970s and 1980s were dominated by Chinese turf wars so bloody, you’ll hardly believe it.
From the city’s earliest rag-tag gangs to the mafia empires of the 20th century, you’ll separate the truth from myths popularized by movies like Gangs of New York and TV shows like The Sopranos. You’ll also learn about the city’s most notorious criminals; from Captain Kidd and Boss Tweed, to John Gotti and Leona Helmsley.
The neighborhoods you visit are much nicer today than they were in the past but has NYC really cleaned up its act? As part of your tour you’ll visit lower Manhattan, in particular Wall Street and the Financial District, to learn about modern, white collar crime (and the going rate for a get-out-of-jail-free card).
New York City crime tours don’t get any better than when they are lead by retired NYPD police officers and detectives. Having spent a lifetime walking these streets, chasing criminals of all creeds, these guides will teach you about incredible, historic scandals but also intersperse your tour with their own personal anecdotes and insights: For a much more personal experience.
- Wall Street
- Lower East Side
- The old “Five Points” neighborhood
- Little Italy
- Guided tour of the Lower East Side & Wall Street
- Tour is led by a retired NYPD Officer or detective
- Small groups of 15 people or fewer
- Hotel Pick-Up/Drop-Off
> Please note that the tour meeting time is 15 minutes prior to the start time. No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or departure.
> This tour may not be suitable for young children, as subject matter may be graphic and disturbing.
> Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- For cancellations made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement: Full refund.
- For cancellations made within 72 hours prior to tour commencement: No refund can be provided.
- For amendments made more than 72 hours prior to tour commencement: No amendment fee, pending availability.
- For amendments made within 72 hours prior to tour commencement: Amendments subject to a amendment fee per person, per tour, pending availability.
Late Arrivals & No Shows:
- No refunds or re-bookings can be provided for late arrivals or no shows after tour commencement or d