- Beer and drinks tasting
- Party and nightlife
- duration 2.5 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 21+ yrs
- max group size 8
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Taste delicious craft cocktails at some of New York’s best bars
- Learn how prohibition shaped NYC, and the speakeasies and gangsters who influenced the city’s cocktail culture
- Discover new spirits from local microdistilleries
- Find the best tuckedaway places to grab a drink in New York’s East Village
This happy hour tour is taking you to the centre of New York’s booming cocktail culture as we visit some of the best bars in the city. Along the way, we’ll sample delicious libations, swap tales of speakeasies and gangsters, shop for new locally produced spirits, get tips on how to make your own craft cocktails, and discover some of the best places to grab a drink in the Big Apple.
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Your NYC cocktail tour starts in Tompkins Square Park in the East Village, a site that’s famed for being the gathering place for political radicals and socialists, as well as the city’s immigrant poor — an appropriate place to begin since so much of NYC’s cocktail culture was invented by these very same people.
The East Village of New York was once an immigrant neighborhood, but today is one of the prime nightlife districts of the city, with great restaurants, bars, and theaters — and we’re taking you to discover the best local haunts and hidden corners.
We start out at a drinking fountain dedicated by a temperance advocate who extolled the virtues of water over whiskey. But don’t worry, we’re not going to listen to him. Instead, we’re taking you to visit three of New York City’s best cocktail bars, where we sample drinks, find out about the people behind the bars, and learn how their craft cocktails are made.
Along the way, hear stories of how the modern cocktail came to be, how prohibition in America affected the bar scene, and how cocktails are enjoying a resurgence as a result of the craft distilling and cocktail movement.
We keep the discussion going with visits to the sites of former speakeasies (hidden illegal bars that operated during the prohibition era) and share tales of the gangsters and politicians that kept the liquor flowing despite the 18th Amendment.
When possible, we also swing by New York’s premier wine and spirits store, Astor Wines, where our expert guides can help you pick out the perfect boozy souvenir to take home with you after the tour. We show you what to look for when buying different spirits and highlight the new local micro-distillers that have opened up over the last several years and are producing delicious whiskeys, rums, vodkas, and gins.
In between stops, you learn all about the East Village, its history, and what is happening there today, including where to eat, drink, and play.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and additional drinks
- bottles of spirits
- tips and gratuities for the guide
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: New York Craft Cocktail Tour tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date -full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 September 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: New York Craft Cocktail Tour tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: New York Craft Cocktail Tour tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Corner of Avenue A and St. Mark’s Place at the entrance to Tompkins Square Park. Meet on the park side of the intersection (east side). You must bring government-issued photo ID as proof of age. Passports and/or driver’s licenses are acceptable.Meeting end point :
At a location in the East Village or the Lower East Side nearby many subway statioLonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.