- Food tour
- Beer and drinks tasting
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 2.5 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 21+ yrs
- max group size 10
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Go beyond Bourbon Street and visit historic bars once frequented by pirates, military generals and famous writers
- Understand how folklore and cocktails collide as you try one of the city’s most famous drinks
- Sample the Sazerac cocktail, a classic concoction invented here almost 200 years ago
- Drink like a local and wander through the picturesque French Quarter with a drink in hand
Enjoy some classy cocktail samples in New Orleans’ famous French Quarter and get to grips with the city’s outstanding cocktail culture. Avoid the tourist traps and visit a heady mix of famous spots, historic haunts and hidden gems with us. You’ll learn about cocktail folklore and hear stories about the ‘The Big Easy,’ both old and new, as you sip away at our favorite local concoctions. By the end of this thirst-quenching tour, Urban Adventures is sure to provide you with all the information you need to know about New Orleans drinking culture!
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
You’ll begin your tour in the most iconic spot in New Orleans, Jackson Square. From here, the best and most historic bars of The French Quarter are all within a stone’s throw. Don’t expect to spend much time on Bourbon Street though. While it has its place in New Orleans nightlife, we will be going beyond the tourist trail to show you what really makes New Orleans cocktail culture unique.
For our first stop we will travel back to the 1700s and visit a bar which used to entertain some of the most eccentric characters in New Orleans history. Here, we will taste a famous drink of the city and learn how it has influenced New Orleans drinking culture today.
In a town bearing witness to many hangovers and a place where it’s socially acceptable to drink at any time of day, it’s no surprise New Orleans has a wide range of delicious dessert-like cocktails. On this tour, we will visit one of your guide’s favorite bars and taste a drink so good you’ll forget there’s alcohol in it.
Next up, we will sample the ‘official cocktail of New Orleans’: the Sazerac. One of the first cocktails ever invented, it’s definitely tasty enough to stand the test of time. We will also touch upon the topic of how medicine influenced Sazerac and other cocktails, too.
From here, we will taste another classic New Orleans invention, while exploring some of the oldest bars and restaurants in the French Quarter. We’ll also get a behind-the-scenes peek into a courtyard oasis, a stunning hidden feature that makes these buildings special, giving well-known customers a classy room to drink in, hidden away from plain sight.
Last but not least, we will visit one of the classiest establishments in New Orleans to try one of the city’s most esteemed drinks, the Ramos Gin Fizz. You’ll learn why this drink is original and exclusive to New Orleans and witness your expert bartender making it. After your first sip, you’ll truly understand why New Orleans has been called, “the cradle of civilized drinking.”
To conclude the tour, your guide will be happy to suggest even more great local creations so you can continue your tour of the extensive New Orleans cocktail trail.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Cocktail samples and a small snack. Cocktail portions vary throughout the tour.
- Additional food and drink
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: New Orleans Cocktail Tour tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date -full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 25 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 25 September 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: New Orleans Cocktail Tour tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: New Orleans Cocktail Tour tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Jackson Square (next to Andrew Jackson statue), 700 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70116Meeting end point :
The end point will be in a central location, close to Jackson Square.Lonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.