- Walking tour
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 13 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- max group size 12
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- The colonial charm and cool mountain air of Shimla Hill Station and a scenic ride on the World Heritagelisted ‘toytrain’ is the perfect way to experience this Himalayan hideout.
- Explore the home of the Dalai Lama – Dharmasala. This highland haven is the ideal place for an enlightening experience of Tibetan spirituality, culture, and history.
- Witness a unique ‘performance’ of the flag ceremony at India and Pakistan's Wagah border – a daily practice conducted since 1959, drawing crowds for its unconventional and ostentatious practices.
- Learn about Sikhism on an included visit to the one of most sacred monuments of the faith – the luminous Golden Temple in Amritsar.
Take a tour of India and be introduced to the Mountains and Mystics of this incredible country. This is a journey of the body, mind, and spirit as you travel through the foothills of the world's highest mountains – the Himalayas. These mystical lands look and feel very different from the rest of India – from the food and clothes to the crisp, clean mountain air and spiritual soul of the locals. Discover it all on a 13-day enlightening adventure, and be enchanted by a land in perfect balance between physical and spiritual worlds.
Dharamsala (McLeod Ganj)
Dharamsala (McLeod Ganj)
Amritsar – Overnight train
Rishikesh – River Ganges
- Camping (with basic facilities) (1 night), Hotel (9 nights), Overnight sleeper train (1 night), Heritage Hotel (1 night)
- 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch, 2 Dinners
- Overnight sleeper train , Private vehicle , Public bus , Train , Heritage Train , Metro , Cycle rickshaw , Taxi
- An expert tour leader
- Delhi - Leader-led Old Delhi walking & rickshaw tour
- Delhi - Jama Masjid
- Delhi - Sheeshganj Gurudwara (Sikh Temple)
- Shimla - Leader-led walking tour
- Shimla - Viceregal Lodge
- Mandi - Leader-led walking tour
- Dharamsala - Norbulingka Institute
- Dharamsala - Dalai Lama Temple
- Amritsar - Golden Temple
- Amritsar - Jallianwallah Bagh
- Amritsar - Wagah Border ceremony
- Rishikesh - Leader-led walking tour
- Rishikesh - Chaurasi Kutia 'The Beatles Ashram'
- Any international flights to/from New Delhi are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Mountains & Mystics of India tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 53+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Mountains & Mystics of India tour. You can cancel the tour up to 28 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 27 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 October 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 October 2021, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 27 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Mountains & Mystics of India tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Mountains & Mystics of India tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip involves some long train rides, which can be tiresome but offer a quintessential Indian experience. Your overnight sleeper train from Amritsar to Haridwar takes approximately 10 hours. Sleeper trains are clean and air-conditioned and a great way to travel long distances while still getting maximum time in each place. Beds are padded berths with sheets, pillow and blanket provided (although some people prefer to bring their own sleeping sheet). Please note that you may be sharing with locals of the same or opposite gender. Long-distance and overnight trains can often be delayed and occasionally cancelled due to heavy fog between December and February.
- Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. We visit a number of temples on this trip, which requires a certain level of modesty. Please bring clothes that cover the arms and pants/skirts that go past the knees. A light scarf is also a good idea for covering shoulders and arms when it's hot.
- This trip travels into the Himalayas, where temperatures can get very low. We don't run the trip in winter, but ensure that you're well prepared for cold weather at any time of the year (particularly from November to March). The sun can also be strong at higher altitudes, so make sure you bring a hat, sunscreen and any other sun protection.
- We'll be taking a private vehicle between Mandi and Dharmsala. The road through the mountains is rough and bumpy, but the scenery, adventure and opportunity to mingle with locals will (hopefully) distract you from any discomfort.
- In Dharmsala, our vehicle can't get all the way to the hotel so some walking (approximately 500 metres) with your luggage will be required.
- As Rishikesh is a sacred town, no alcohol consumption is permitted during our time here.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene and safety guidelines will be followed to ensure your well being is looked after during travels.
- All travellers 18 years and older will be required to be fully vaccinated. Children aged 17 years and under must present either a negative COVID-19 test, proof of recovery or proof of full vaccination. Any customer who is unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons can apply for an exemption. Customers must provide a medical certificate from a medical professional. These new safety measures apply on all trips, except for tours in Australia, New Zealand and the Cook Islands.
Last modified (date)
Joining point description
Finish point description
Finish point instructions
Climate and seasonal
Your fellow travellers