- duration 14 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Chance to see the rare and elusive Snow leopard
- Wonderful winter walking in mountainous Ladakh when it is cut off from the rest of the world
- Visit ancient monasteries and attend a colourful monastic festival with masked dancers
- Enjoy a homestay night and traditional meal with a friendly Ladakhi family
Snow leopards are one of the world's most elusive mammals but in winter they descend from the high Himalaya in search of food. Inhabiting some of the most remote and mountainous regions of Central Asia, the mission to see this enigmatic cat is really more of a pilgrimage. Other rare high altitude wildlife and isolated Himalayan Buddhist communities only add to this quest's allure. The itinerary varies slightly by departure date to fit in the different festivals. Monday 15 February and Saturday 27 February 2021 (Flight inclusive) led by Valerie Parkinson
Day 1: Start Delhi.
Day 2: Fly across the Himalaya to Leh (3500m).
Day 3: Full day at a monastic festival.
Day 4: Visit Shey, Thikse and Stakna Monasteries.
Day 5: Drive to Jinchen; trek to Rumbak Sumdo (3800m)
Day 6-10: Five days wildlife spotting in and around the Rumbak, Yurutse, Husing and
Tarbuns Valleys in the Hemis National Park searching for Snow leopards and
other mammals and birds.
Day 11: Return to Leh.
Day 12: Fly to Delhi.
Day 13: Free day in Delhi for individual sightseeing.
Day 14: End Delhi.
- 7 nights hotels, 5 nights full-service camping and 1 night homestay , All accommodation
- All breakfasts, 10 lunches and 10 dinners
- Travel on foot, by jeep and 2 internal flights
- All transport and listed activities
- (if booking incl. flights)
- 7 days wildlife spotting on foot
- Group normally 4 to 16, plus leader and appropriate staff. Min age 18 yrs
- Altitude max. 4550m, average 3800m (maximum sleeping 3900m)
- Festival visited varies by departure date
- Both 2021 departures led by Valerie Parkinson
- Tour leader throughout
- Arrival and departure transfers
- Specialist wildlife guide
- Any international flights to/from New Delhi are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this In Search of the Snow Leopard tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 125+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this In Search of the Snow Leopard tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 14 July 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 14 July 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
In Search of the Snow Leopard tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this In Search of the Snow Leopard tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.