- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 7.5 hours
- tour type Group
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Spend the day with Maasai tribeswomen in their ancestral homeland
- Learn the traditional art of Maasai jewellerymaking as you make your own wristband to keep
- Be immersed in the Maasai culture and experience traditional singing and dancing
- Leave the city behind and take in the vistas of the Ngong Hills
With a name like Hell's Gate, it's no wonder this park is less-visited than others in Kenya. Take the chance to visit one of the few parks you can walk in on this Nairobi tour that also includes a visit to the Elsamere Conservation Centre where you'll be tempted to sing 'Born Free'.
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Nothing defines the Maasai so perfectly as the intricate and ornate jewellery that symbolises their cultural heritage. This full-day Nairboi tour is held in the Masai homelands around Ngong Hills, and captures the spirit and essence of Masai life.
This Nairobi tour is run in partnership with One Horizon Africa, a non-profit organisation dedicated to alleviating poverty in Kenya and South Africa that holds no religious or political affiliations. Tours are managed by a dedicated Kenyan staffing team who all have a background in travel and tourism, and have joined the team because of their commitment to helping their fellow citizens.
Your Nairobi tour will be led by two Maasai tribeswomen and sisters who learned the skills of Maasai jewellery-making from their grandmother. Sitting under cool acacia trees in the stunning countryside, you will make your own Masai wristband under their guidance, using the colour codes observed by the Masai. Best of all, you’ll get to keep your handmade jewellery as your own memento of the day.
If you like, you can also take part in traditional Maasai singing and dancing, which will be experienced as part of your day.
This In Focus experience offers a total cultural immersion that will leave you with memories for a lifetime!
All net proceeds of this tour will go to One Horizon Africa.
- Drop-off at your hotel
- Local English-speaking guide
- Unlimited bottled water
- Tea and coffee
- Light snacks
- Photographs of you and the group.
- Other souvenirs and personal items
- tips/gratuities for your guides.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences In Focus Tour: A Day with the Maasai tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 12 June 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 12 June 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences In Focus Tour: A Day with the Maasai tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences In Focus Tour: A Day with the Maasai tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Kenya Comfort Suites, Junction of Jakaya Kikwete and Ralph Bunche Roads, Nairobi.Meeting end point :
At your hotel.Lonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.