- duration 7.5 hours
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Learn how One Horizon Africa is helping Kenyan woman build brighter futures
- Visit with a group of Kenyan women who are turning their lives around from debilitating poverty
- Hear inspirational stories from locals over a cup of tea or coffee
- Make a traditional Maasai wristband as a memento of your trip
Spend an incredible day with some inspiring women who are overcoming hardship and turning their lives around, thanks to a unique social enterprise. Get to know these resilient women and hear their stories as you gain insight into what it means to be a woman in Kenya, and how they are overcoming adversity to create a brighter future for themselves and their families.
Your Nairobi tour will whisk you away from your hotel (in air conditioned comfort) to the rural township of Ngong Hills, where we’ll visit with a local community of women who are on a vocational and lifestyle retraining program. These women were once on the streets with their families, but are now participating an 18-month program to give them the skills they need to build better lives.
Over a cup of tea or coffee you’ll hear their inspiring stories. The women use storytelling as a way to leave the past behind and look forward to the future, and you’ll be left in awe. You’ll also get to tour the centre where the women are learning how to empower their lives and start their own businesses.
After a light lunch with the women, we’ll take a short trip to the countryside, to an area known as Kiserian, the traditional homeland of the Maasai. Here you’ll meet one of the graduates from the program who now owns her own home and runs a small business.
In the shade of an Acacia tree, your host Peri will give insight into what being a Maasai women means, with all its rituals and obligations. You’ll become immersed in the culture of the Maasai as Peri tells her story, partly through traditional verse and song. She will recount her journey from living in open fields with her children, to now being fully self-sufficient. While you’re here, you might also catch a glimpse of herds of cows and goats being moved by the Maasai tribesmen.
Before you leave, you’ll get to participate in making a traditional Maasai wristband to take home with you as a memory of your day.
By the end of the day you’ll have visited two local communities most travellers never get to see. Not only that, but you’ll also get to connect with locals, hear their stories, see how they live, and gain a greater understanding of the strength of the Kenyan people.
- Roundtrip transportation from your hotel
- Local English-speaking guide
- Unlimited bottled water
- 1 tea or coffee
- Light snacks
- Maasai wristband memento.
- Additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this In Focus: The Resilient Women of Kenya tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
Full payment of 140 USD is required to confirm this tour.Travel Insurance
In Focus: The Resilient Women of Kenya tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this In Focus: The Resilient Women of Kenya tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Your Nairobi HotelMeeting end point :
Your Nairobi HotelCOVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.