- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Visit a street market and haggle alongside locals for pigs and chickens
- Deliver sustainable food sources to villages on the outskirts of Nairobi
- Sit down in a local’s home for tea and coffee, and learn about life in Kenya
- Find out why the UN and WHO have said chicken and pig farming can help alleviate malnutrition in poorer communities
We’re picking up chicks (and pigs too!), on this Nairobi tour that explores the relationship between farming and food. You’ll deliver a supply of chickens and pigs to a local community and find out how a local non-profit is helping to alleviate poverty and malnutrition in Kenya, one chick and piglet at a time.
Chicken and pig farming have been rated by the United Nations and World Health Organization as one of the most successful and quick-fix solutions to overcoming malnutrition in poor communities.
On this Nairobi tour, you’ll head to a street-side market, where you’ll get to haggle alongside locals and pick up the fattest piglets and happiest little chicks for delivering to local communities.
With the piglets and chicks in your arms, we’ll travel up to villages in Kikuyu and Kayole, on the outskirts of Nairobi. One Horizon Africa, our partner on this tour, has rescue centres in these communities, where locals are in desperate need of a sustainable food source.
Small pigs and chicken farms can help people to overcome food shortages and malnutrition. Because they breed quickly, pigs and chickens provide a valuable food and income source — in six months, malnourished and deprived communities can have a sustainable income source from the sale of excess eggs, chicken meat, and pork.
Once we’ve handed over our purchases, we’ll have the chance to sit down in a private home and hear locals’ stories about life in the community, shared over tea and coffee. These are grassroots communities that most travellers never get the opportunity to meet.
100% of your tour costs will go to the purchase and transport of chickens and piglets to the local communities we visit.
One Horizon Africa is a non-profit organisation dedicated to alleviating poverty in Kenya and South Africa, and holds no religious or political affiliations. Tours are managed by a dedicated Kenyan staffing team who all have a background in travel and tourism, and have joined the team because of their commitment to helping their fellow citizens.
- Pick-up from and drop-off at your hotel
- Local English-speaking guide
- Unlimited bottled water
- Tea and coffee
- Light snacks
- Photographs of you and the group.
- Souvenirs and personal items
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this In Focus: From Farm to Feast tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 19 June 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 19 June 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
In Focus: From Farm to Feast tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this In Focus: From Farm to Feast tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
You’ll be picked up at your hotel (please be sure to include your hotel name when you book your tour).Meeting end point :
At your hotel.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.