One of the most naturally stunning and diverse provinces on the entire African continent, holidays in Mpumalanga should be on top of every outdoor enthusiasts and animal lovers’ bucket list. Book a trip to Mpumalanga and you will get a chance to experience dizzying canyons, lush vegetation and African wildlife like no other.
- Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve is home to the third largest canyon in the world and one of the most impressive natural sights in the country. This stunning natural enclave features awe-inspiring panoramas of the meandering Blyde River, as well as exotic plant and animal life.
- Panorama Route, a scenic strech of 80 km, is a road trip that takes you through some of most wonderful natural phenomenon in the country.
- Sitting at 2,012 meters above sea level, Dullstroom is one of South Africa’s highest and chilliest town. This popular getaway is also a prime destination for trout fishing.
- Kruger National Park is one of the famous game reserves on the continent. Home to the Big 5 and other large animals, but also 500 species of birds, at this park you will have an opportunity to experience safari at its finest.
- Chrissiesmeer is a hidden gem in South Africa’s lake district. This sleepy, yet charming town is ideal for bird watching and exploring the region’s beautiful lakes and grassland.
- Weather in Mpumalanga tends to be sunny regardless of the season. However, if you want to reduce chances of rain and wind during your holiday, opt to visit the province in March and April, when the weather is driest. Alternatively, if you are interested in safari exploration, the ideal time to visit is in the spring months of September and October.
- Air travel to Mpumalanga province is serviced with Kruger Mpumalanga Airport, which is located in the region’s capital, Nelspruit. It has flights to Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and Vilanculos.
- If you plan on visiting a safari, make sure to pack your essentials. These include comfortable shoes, sunhat, bug repellant, sunscreen with high SPF and a pair of easily portable binoculars.