- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- duration 9 days
- tour type Private
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 10+ years old
- guiding method Fully guided
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date prior to 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour You can select a new tour run by the same operator up to 30 days before departure.
- Summit Mount Kilimanjaro via a less frequented route
- See the cone of Mawenzi Volcano
- Two acclimatization hikes included
- Descend via the Marangu Trail
Your journey to the top of Africa starts with a drive to Nalemuru Gate, which usually takes between three to four hours from Altezza Lodge or Aishi Machame Hotel. Get your climbing permits done, strap on your hiking boots and head for Simba Camp, your final destination of the day. From there, your journey to the top continues via Second Cave and Kikilewa camps. The Rongai Route is the only route that travels through Mawenzi, one of the three volcanic cones that make Mount Kilimanjaro and the third highest peak in Africa.
Having reached the summit, you will then head down via the Marangu Trail, which means that you will be able to discover both sides of the mountain during this trip. Please note that although some trekkers with the experience of hiking in high elevations can do this trip in around a week's time, a longer option is recommended for better acclimatization.
We recommend this route for travelers looking for a reclusive hiking experience in Africa. For more details scroll down to the itinerary section below.
Day 1: Kilimanjaro International Airport arrival
Day 2: Trekking from Nalemuru Gate to Simba Camp
Day 3: Simba Camp — Second Cave Camp
Day 4: Second Cave Camp — Kikilelwa Camp
Day 5: Kikilelwa Camp — Mawenzi Tarn Camp
Day 6: Mawenzi Tarn Camp — School Hut Camp
Day 7: Summit Uhuru Peak & descend to Horombo Hut
Day 8: Descend to Marangu Gate
Day 9: Departure
- Arrival transfer from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your hotel and departure transfer from your hotel to Kilimanjaro International Airport. Transport to the trailhead from your hotel & back
- Hotel accommodation before and after the trek in twin/double rooms as per the itinerary. Camp/hut accommodation during the climb. We use North Face VE-25 tents. Two climbers share one tent during trek
- Three meals a day during climb. Menu includes soups, garnishes, several types of meat, fresh fruits & vegetables. Vegetarian, non-lactose and gluten-free options are available on prior notification
- A professional mountain crew. All guides have 'Wilderness First Responder' and 'Wilderness First Aid' certificates along with over 7 years of experience in climbing
- Each participant will be provided with a porter who will carry up to 15 kg of personal baggage
- Kilimanjaro National Park permits
- Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees
- First aid kit, oxygen system & pulse oximeters
- Warm and comfortable sleeping pads (four-inch thick)
- Group equipment, like dining tents, tables, chairs, crockery and cutlery
- Accommodation after the climb at Aishi Machame Hotel (sharing a twin/double room, including breakfast)
- Certificates for successful ascents made
- Portable Toilet
- Portable Shower
- Private Tent
- Personal Porter Service
- Extended Meal Plan
- VIP Lounge at JRO (Arrival)
- VIP Lounge at JRO (Departure)
- Both international and domestic airline tickets
- Visa charges
- Travel insurance. You will need a special insurance for climbing Mount Kilimanjaro which covers high-altitude trekking up to 6000 m along with rescue and evacuation in high elevations
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Personal gear
- Tips for the mountain crew (USD200 to USD250 per climber)
- Anything mentioned optional in the itinerary
- Earn US$ 92+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
10% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 10% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.Other Practical InformationWe recommend this trip for novices and amateurs as well.