- Explore Mt. Kilimanjaro through the Machame route a.k.a the Whiskey route
The Machame route is scenically beautiful and varied. However, due to its popularity there are increased numbers of trekkers, it loses some of its splendor. The Machame route approaches the summit from the southwest and descends using the Mweka route, rewarding climbers with views of the expansive Shira Plateau, an optional scramble up Lava Tower, a climb up the Great Barranco wall, and a traverse underneath Kilimanjaro’s southern ice field.
Climbers sleep in supplied tents at designated campsites, and eat meals either outdoors or inside a large dining tent, depending on weather conditions. Our staff will prepare all meals and set up and take down the tents.
The Machame route is a highly successful route to the summit as you climb high and sleep lower because of position of the campsites, which aids acclimatization. It also offers the opportunity to take an alternative route to the summit, either via Barafu camp or the less frequented and more difficult Western breach route. The minimum number of days required for this route is six days, although seven days is recommended to make the walk more enjoyable and improve acclimatization.
After arrival in Moshi and the hotel, there will be the opportunity to rest. Later there will be a meeting with the tour guide for a briefing about the trek and Mt Kilimanjaro and very importantly an equipment check.
Day 2: Machame camp to Shira camp 2
Day 3: Shira camp 2 to Lava tower to Barranco camp
Day 4: Barranco camp to Karanga valley
Day 5: Karanga valley to Barafu camp
Day 6: Barafu camp to Uhuru peak to Mweka camp (Summit night)
Day 7: Mweka camp to Mweka gate
- 2 Nights accommodation in Keys Hotel in Moshi
- Quality, waterproof, four-season private mountain sleeping tents
- Professional and experienced mountain guides
- All Park fees and rescue fees
- All meals mentioned in the itinerary
- Tanzania Visa: $50 per person on arrival Personal Expenses (e.g. laundry, telephone, beverages, etc.)
- Meals not listed above
- Optional Tours (short safari after your climb etc)
- Tips and any items of personal nature