- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 11 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 5+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Maximum altitude 5895 meters
- Referred to as the "Whiskey route", it is better suited for the more adventurous hiker
- The route offers some truly beautiful and varied scenery
Once you reach the park gate, climbers are requested to make their final preparations for the climb and sign the national park registration book. Porters will be seen arranging their packs containing the food, water, and other equipment. Make sure that you have all your day pack items with you as the porters travel very quickly. Your guide will be pleased to assist with any additional information.
The terrain lower down is absolutely gorgeous and fascinating. Higher up, the views are vast. There is little to do at the camps themselves, so take advantage of the slow pace to absorb the scenery and take every photo opportunity.
When arriving at the Horombo Huts (3,690 m/12,100 ft), if needed, we will take an extra day here for acclimatizaton. At Horombo, you can either rest at the huts or take a stroll up to the Mawenzi basecamp and then return to the Horombo Huts. This extra day will help your acclimatization, and further your understanding of the mountain’s weather and altitude. After your pause, you will continue up to the Kibo Huts on your fourth day for your midnight start to the summit.
The hike to the summit starts around midnight depending on your route and speed of your group. You will go as high as you feel fit. Some people stop at the crater rim, and others continue to the very highest point on the mountain. Your guides will then take you down as quickly as possible to minimize any altitude problems. You will continue past your last campsite to the next one for overnight.
Climbing Kilimanjaro requires no technical climbing experience, and any moderately fit person can summit the mountain.
The average hiking day begins between 8-9am and is about 5 to 6 hours, walking very, very slowly. The distances you will hike each day are very moderate so as to acclimatize a little at a time. Your guides will repeat over and over, "pole pole" (po-ly, po-ly), which means "go slowly" in Swahili.
If you arrive at the Kilimanjaro Airport, you will be met at the airport and transferred to your hotel in Moshi or Arusha. We recommend at least one rest day before starting your trek. If you are transferring from Nairobi, this can act as your rest day. If you have time, enjoy a guided walk through the local rice fields and rainforest, do a little shopping in the town of Moshi, relax at the swimming pool, or get a massage.
Your guide will provide a briefing the evening before your trek, and you must separate one bag for the trek from your other luggage. Extra luggage can be stored in a locked storage room at your Moshi hotel at no charge.
The next morning, enjoy a hearty breakfast before last-minute trip preparations at the trekking office. Depending on the route you take, the drive to the trailhead can take up to one hour and can be very bumpy.
I would highly recommend Winford and his team. They did an amazing job in some trying weather conditions and we are very grateful to them for helping us realise our dream.”
Day 1: Airport to Springlands Hotel
Day 2: Moshi to Mkubwa Camp
Day 3: Mkubwa Camp (2,750m) to Shira Camp 1 (3,500m)
Day 4: Shira 1 camp to Moir camp (4,205m)
Day 5: Moir Camp to Buffalo/Pofu Camp (4,025m)
Day 6: Buffalo/Pofu Camp to Kikelewa/third Caves Camp
Day 7: Kikelewa/TCC (3,600m) to Mawenzi Tarn Camp (4,315m)
Day 8: Mawenzi Tarn Camp to Outward Bound Camp (4,750m)
Day 9: OBC - Uhuru Peak(5,895m) - Millennium Camp (3,110m)
Day 10: Mweka Camp - Mweka Gate - Springlands hotel or similar
Day 11: Departure Day
- Certified, experienced, English-speaking guide
- National Park gate Fees.
- Transport from Moshi to starting point on mountain and return to Moshi.
- Hut/camping fees and tents
- Porters’ Salaries
- Rescue fees ( required by the national Park)
- All Meals on the mountain.
- Two nights’ accommodation in Moshi bed and breakfast, double or triple occupancy
- Tents foam sleeping pads, cooking equipment’s and eating utensils.
- Oximeters are available upon request.
- Tips for Guides and porters
- Mountain equipment (eg. sleeping bags)
- Some equipment is available for rent. (ask for price list)
- Lunches and dinners at Springlands Hotel.
- Earn US$ 91+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
20% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure, but the 20% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 20% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.