- Morocco has two popular dune systems - Erg Chebbi and Erg Chigaga. Erg Chebbi is well-traveled and developed, while Erg Chigaga is known for its wild vista and peaceful ambiance
- The entry point of Erg Chebbi is the village of Merzouga from where one can do the most popular Moroccan Sahara activity of camel trekking amidst the towering dunes of Erg Chebbi.
- Erg Chigaga provides an off-the-beaten-track experience. Book a 4x4 jeep safari to reach the dune fields of Erg Chigaga.
- Stargazing under the desert night sky comes highly recommended due to the profusion of twinkling stars in an exceptionally clear sky with no light pollution.
- Be prepared for a long driving time (at least 8-10 hours) when accessing the Moroccan Sahara, whether it is Erg Chebbi or Erg Chigaga.
- The journey to the desert itself is a travel experience like no other, with ancient kasbahs, enchanting oases, and lush palmeries dotting the way.
- The desert temperature always fluctuates, so dress in layers and carry warm clothes for chilly desert nights.
- Sahara gets unbearably hot between the summer months of June to September, so it is best avoided.