Monteverde means “Green Mountain” which means you won’t be surprised when you see the luscious green vegetation sprawling across the mountains in this area. It first started to become popular after National Geographic featured some of the rare and beautiful Birds of Paradise that are endemic to Central America and can be found in abundance in this area.
- Canopy tours: While you can walk around on the forest ground, why not experience the forest life by walking across a series of suspension bridges. It’s very safe allows you to get high enough to take some really incredible photos. If you’re really looking for the best views then you can always go higher up and zip line across the tops of the trees.
- Cloud Forest: Just over 10,000 hectares of forest waits for you here in one of the country's most famous reserves. It’s most known for its hundreds of different types of orchids, thousands of birds, monkeys, insects, and even some jungle cats. For animal lovers, this is a great place.
- Night tours: While by day the forest is vibrant and beautiful, by night it’s transformed completely! You’ll hear a range of sounds from the many nocturnal creatures that own the night. From spiders, to bugs, bats, and more. For those scared of the dark, don’t forget to take an extra flashlight.
- While there are plenty of hotels nearby Monteverde, the whole area is a forest full of action so what better way to experience it than camping out? You can camp at different places ranging from basic to luxury.
- The summer months (December to April) are one of the most popular times to go. However, if you want to avoid crowds, the shoulder season from May to July and November is also a good time to visit.
- Taking the bus is one of the easiest and most affordable options which you can get from San Jose.