- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 15 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18-29 yrs
- max group size 16
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- You've never seen true colour until you've been to a Mexican market. Practice your bargaining skills, snap some photos and pick up traditional handicrafts in Oaxaca, Chiapas and Merida.
- Escape the Mexican heat in the culturallyrich highlands of Chiapas. San Cristobal de las Casas has an oldworld town vibe, surrounded by ancient tribal villages.
- Head deep into the jungle and experience the lush wilderness and cultural significance of Palenque and Lacanja – a real Indiana Jones moment.
- Take an optional tour to the historic site of Chichen Itza to understand why these ancient Maya ruins are one of the new Seven Wonders of the World.
Make Mexico your amigo with this 15-day exploration from the sprawling megacity of Mexico City out to the coastal sounds of Playa del Carmen. This overland adventure covers the best of the mex – from colourful colonial architecture and weaving cobblestoned laneways of Oaxaca, the highland culture and charm of San Cristobal de las Casas, the lush jungle and ruins of Palenque, the lively hub of Merida, to discovering the gems of the Caribbean. All of this, with the added bonus of as many tacos, tostadas and tejates you can devour. Experience the real Mexico, by immersing yourself in the culture and history, eating the delicious food and travelling alongside communities of joyful locals. You know, life could be worse.
Our tour guide was very well-organised and very helpful for those who required extra assistance - like losing baggage / passport / remembering wrong flight times / having gold fish memory (yes... this all happened in the trip..). You would't need to worry if you're clumsy or forgetful as Intrepid tour guides will have you covered.
The itinerary is skewed towards a leisure one hence why the average age of our group is 50+ ranging from late 20's to 70's. If you're simply looking for a cultural experience I'd say this is the perfect choice. But if you're a bit more active and adventurous like me then you may feel too protected and bored somtimes.
Lastly some tips for shopping - save your money until you get to Udaipur as there's many more options and prices are a lot better. That way you don't need to lug around extra weight early in the trip too. Remember to bargain at expensive & bigger shops (those are the wealthy ones and they rip you off by a big margin) and not so much at the smaller shops (they aren't as rich!). Tour guides would sometimes hush you into particular shops unfortunately.. but don't feel pressured to make a purchase (easier said than done though) as those shop keepers are good at pitching.”
Oaxaca / Overnight bus
San Cristobal de las Casas
San Cristobal de las Casas
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
- Hotel (12 nights), Overnight public bus (1 night), Cabin (1 night)
- 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch, 1 Dinner
- Private vehicle , Public bus , Local bus , Overnight public bus , Taxi
- An expert tour leader
- Mexico City - Leader-led City Tour of Historic Center
- Mexico City - Leader-led Taco Crawl
- Leader-led Informal Spanish Lesson
- Oaxaca - Leader-led Orientation Walk
- San Cristobal de Las Casas - Leader-led City Tour
- San Juan Chamula - Maya Church (entrance fee)
- Zinacantan - Maya Church (entrance fee)
- Agua Azul - Waterfall Visit (entrance fee)
- Palenque - Archaeological site (Entrance fee & Transport)
- Merida - Leader-led Orientation Walk
- Izamal - Leader-led walking tour
- Izamal - Convento de San Antonio de Padua (Entrance)
- Playa del Carmen - Leader-led Orientation Walk
- Playa del Carmen - Paleteria visit (Mexican Ice-cream store)
- Any international flights to Mexico City and from Playa Del Carmen are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Real Mexico tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 54+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Real Mexico tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 29 March 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 29 March 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Real Mexico tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Real Mexico tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip includes time spent travelling in a private vehicle and public bus with your group, including an overnight bus journey. Extra space can be tight, and conditions may feel a little cramped. It’s all part of the adventure and a great way to get to know your fellow travellers. Please read the itinerary carefully for travel time estimates.
- Mexico's climate is sultry and tropical, so can get really hot and humid. Wear loose clothing and make sure stay hydrated, especially while out on walking tours.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Finish point description
Finish point instructions
Food and dietary requirements
Climate and seasonal
Your fellow travellers
Joining point description
Joining point instructions