- Cooking classes
- Food tour
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 5 hours
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Shop for everything from local produce to love potions at two different street markets that are far off the tourist trail
- Learn about the country’s political history and how it has shaped modernday Mexico
- Savour iconic Mexican street foods like tacos, tamales and huaraches, and make your own salsa from scratch
- Visit with a local family and learn about their daily life in Mexico City
Get a glimpse of local daily life as you walk the streets of Mexico City with your friendly, local guide. Shop for groceries in two off-the-beaten-path street markets, ride public transit and savour traditional street foods like tacos and tamales. Along the way, learn about the history, culture and politics of this great city before finishing with an interactive cooking class with a local family.
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
For Mexico City residents, markets offer a one-stop shop for groceries, flowers, household items, prepared foods and even clothing. Being such an important part of daily life, some markets have also become a showcase of politics and culture.
Your first stop on a private Mexico City tour is a relatively unknown market that boasts a large art collection depicting the political movement from the first half of the 1900s. Your guide will explain the importance of the murals and bridge the gap between the political movement of that period with what is going on in today’s Mexico.
To reach our second market you’ll travel the city just like the locals do, by riding the public metro. This market boasts an unmatched selection of flowers – you’ll be mesmerised by the variety and by the vendors, who will be all too happy to help you match the perfect bouquet to your eye colour. You’ll also find fruits, herbs, meat, fish, pinatas and more, all for sale among the various stalls – no matter what you’re shopping for, you’re in the right place. And that could even include romance! If you’re looking for love, you might even find a love potion available amid all the goods!
Along the way, you’ll also get to sample some classic Mexican street foods, such as tacos and tamales, along with a coffee or atole – a traditional warm drink made from masa.
After buying some fresh vegetables (and learning about local farming practices), head over to a local family business, where you’ll learn how to prepare your own salsa. Together, you’ll wash, cut and grill the ingredients, then smash them in the traditional way, using a molcajete (mortar and pestle). Taste your homemade salsa with a classic huarache.
- Public transportation
- Bilingual local guide
- Samples of local food.
- Items of a personal nature
- additional food beyond included samples
- tips / gratuities for the guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Private Mexico City: Market Secrets & Cooking Class tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date -full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 27 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 27 September 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Private Mexico City: Market Secrets & Cooking Class tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Private Mexico City: Market Secrets & Cooking Class tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Hostel Mundo Joven Catedral facade / entrance.República de Guatemala 4, Centro Histórico de la Cdad. de México, Centro, Cuauhtémoc, 06020 Ciudad de México, CDMXMeeting end point :
Palacio de Bellas Artes facade /entrance.Av. Juárez S/N, Centro Histórico de la Cdad. de México, Centro, Cuauhtémoc, 06050 Ciudad de México, CDMX COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.