- Food tour
- City sightseeing
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 3 hours
- tour type Group
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Get to know Melbourne's culinary culture with a visit to the markets
- Catch a tram or train out to one of Melbourne's eclectic multicultural markets
- Graze the market, graze the world as you sample over a dozen international (and some Aussie) foods
- Learn about the gastronomic culture, history and traditions of the region from your local foodie host
The markets of Melbourne's neighbourhoods are buzzing, colourful reflections of the city’s soul. Half of Aussies are first- or second-generation immigrants, and this diverse cultural tapestry is on full display in its markets. Go behind the scenes, taste the food, meet the vendors and discover the local culture.
Ask any Melbournian to point you in the direction of something cool and more likely than not they'll direct you out into the neighbourhoods. On this tour, we'll celebrate the local foodie culture in Melbourne’s multicultural markets on a three-hour walking and public transport tour. With your localhost and intimate group, you’ll discover the best of Melbourne’s bustling markets. Learn about local gastronomic culture as well as the history and culinary traditions that are unique to the city.
We’ll visit the market in the morning hours before the rush. This will allow you time to interact with the vendors, as you gain rare insight into the history of the city and how the character of Melbourne has developed. Melbourne's oldest markets are packed with stories, and we’ll include plenty of samples, tastings and time for you to explore, so you can get the true experience.
Hear about how immigration has been a driving force in Melbourne which gives the city such a unique vibe.
Depending on the day and guide you may find yourself in Footscray at the Vietnamese market, Coburg at the Middle Eastern market, South Melbourne for the predominantly Mediterranean Market or the famous Queen Victoria Market in the CBD, the largest open-air market in Australia. Each has its own character, amazing food, and eclectic style and buzz. We'll finish with a hot or cold beverage.
Continue shopping on your own, or ask your guide for some ideas of how to spend your afternoon. Maybe join us for our Craft Beer Lover's tour in other cool Melbourne neighbourhoods
- Local English-speaking guide
- International food tastings
- Hot or cold beverage
- A tram or train fare may be required depending on the market; your guide can help you purchase a ticket at the beginning of the tour
- additional food and drinks
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Multicultural Markets of Melbourne's Neighbourhoods tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date -full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 27 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 27 September 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Multicultural Markets of Melbourne's Neighbourhoods tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Multicultural Markets of Melbourne's Neighbourhoods tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Southern Cross Station – Under the Clock Tower, 83 Spencer St, MelbourneMeeting end point :
At the last market we visit on the day or the nearest public transport stop to take you back to the city.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.