- City sightseeing
- Beer and drinks tasting
- duration 3 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ yrs
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Learn about Melbourne’s history with a drink inhand
- Try local beers, wines, spirits, and cocktails at four unique Melbourne establishments
- Discover hidden bars known only to local Melburnians
Through gold rushes and rebellions, Olympics and royal visits, Melburnians have turned to ales, whiskeys, wines, and cocktails for comfort. Experience Melbourne’s unique bar scene with a local guide and visit its unique watering holes. By the end of this tour, you’ll discover that history really is better with booze (as if there was ever any doubt)!
We begin next to the Sir William Clarke Memorial next to the Old Treasury Building. A symbolic area of Melbourne and home to our Parliament. The order of the venues may change, but together we will visit a variety of our favourite local watering holes, these may include a classic craft beer establishment, a laneway bar, a hidden speakeasy and a rooftop bar.
Everyone has their favourite drink but you’ll be encouraged to try something different on this tour. Never tried whiskey? We’ll take you to a place where you can discover its charms.
Want to check out some local wines? With the Yarra Valley just a stone’s throw away, it would be a sin not to taste some of the delectable wines in the region.
The craft beer scene is exploding in Melbourne right now yet beer has always had a rich history in the city. You’ll learn about the standard pour sizes of Victorian beers and how beer nearly led to all alcohol being banned during the gold rush.
Many of Melbourne’s most popular bars are in tiny, hidden laneways and survive on word of mouth alone. Visit a speakeasy-style bar and learn about how and why Melbourne’s laneway scene developed.
Rooftop bars are a favourite place for Melbournians to gather and not just in summer. During winter, some rooftops add a marquee and heaters and carry on regardless. You’ll visit one of the most eclectic rooftop bars in the city
Melbourne’s bar scene is ever-changing, so one of the bars will be chosen by your guide on the day, depending on the group’s desires, the weather, and what is trending in Melbourne at the time.
If you’re still thirsty by the end of the tour, don’t forget to ask your local guide for some more recommendations, so you won’t have to worry about a dry mouth for the rest of your stay in Melbourne.
- Local English-speaking guide.
- souvenirs and personal shopping
- tips/gratuities for your guide. Because everyone’s drinking preferences and tolerances are different
- rather than include drinks
- we keep our tour price low and allow you to purchase drinks as you go. Most establishments accept bank cards
- but there is occasionally a minimum spend. You may wish to bring cash if you want to avoid this.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Booze Makes History Better tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date -full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 25 September 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 25 September 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Booze Makes History Better tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Booze Makes History Better tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Sir William Clarke Memorial Statue, Corner of Spring St and Treasury Place (next to the Old Treasury Building)Meeting end point :
City - Central Business District, within the free tram zone.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.