- Local culture
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 9 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 12+ years old
- max group size 12
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Gunung Leuser National Park is your best chance in Indonesia to see orangutans in the wild. Hike through the jungle, home to some 300 bird species and the endangered Sumatran tiger, on a smallgroup camping experience.
- Begin and end your adventure in Sumatra’s largest city: Medan. Explore the mix of Asian cultures in the city, noticeable in its colourful architecture and delicious mix of food.
- Let your knowledgeable group leader guide you through the thickets of the jungle, past small cultural villages, and to the best places to eat around northern Sumatra.
- Climb the Sibayak Volcano to enjoy panoramic views at its spectacular summit, then head to local hot springs for some wellearned rest and relaxation after the descent.
Steamy Sumatra is a rugged jungle paradise for all types of adventurers. The world’s sixth largest island is teeming with untamed nature and is home to many endangered species, including the Sumatran tiger, rhinoceros, elephants and the acclaimed orangutan. On this nine-day Sumatran expedition, travel from Medan to Bukit Lawang and explore Gunung Leuser National Park. Head to Berastagi and hike up the steaming active volcano Sibayak, basking in the glory of misty panoramas from the summit. Finish in Samonsir on Lake Toba, where the colourfully dressed Christian Batak people are happy to have your company. Venture off the beaten track and learn a thing or two about Sumatra.
Gunung Leuser National Park
Gunung Leuser National Park - Berastagi
Mt Sibayak - Berastagi
- Hotel (4 nts), Camping (1 nt), Guesthouse (3 nts)
- 8 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 1 Dinner
- Ferry , Private vehicle
- An expert tour leader
- Gunung Leuser NP - Jungle Wildlife Trek
- Gunung Leuser NP - Trekking Lunch
- Gunung Leuser NP - Campsite Dinner
- Mt Sibayak - Picnic lunch
- Mt Sibayak - Volcano climb
- Berastagi - Hot springs
- Lake Toba - Sipiso-Piso Waterfall
- Dokan Village - Batak longhouse visit
- Lake Toba - Samosir Island day tour
- Lake Toba - Stone Chairs
- Lake Toba - Simanindo Museum
- Lake Toba - Batak Dance Performance
- Any international flights to/from Medan are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Sumatra Adventure tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 37+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Sumatra Adventure tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 10 May 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 10 May 2021, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Sumatra Adventure tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Sumatra Adventure tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- Sumatra is less developed than other islands of the Indonesian archipelago. Due to limited tourism infrastructure, expect there to be more bumpy and windy roads, some longer drives and more basic hotels. On the plus side, you’ll feel like you’re off the beaten track!
- This trip involves either a partial or full camping experience, giving you access to more remote destinations at close proximity, and the joy of camping in the wilderness. This is a participatory trip – a fancy way of saying you’re not just along for the ride, but you are part of a team! Be prepared to roll up your sleeves and help out with camp activities like food prep and washing up. It’s all about giving your new travel mates and group leader a hand, and everyone knows there’s nothing worse than trying to put up a tent on your own! Keep in mind this is jungle camping with twin share tents and no facilities.
- Some of the best scenery on Sumatra is found on hikes. So, while this trip doesn't require a high level of fitness, it’s essential to be at least moderately fit if you want to partake in all activities.
- You may also want to check out our Best of Indonesia (TISSC) if you have longer time to explore in the country.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.