- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 12+ yrs
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Visit the UNESCO sites of Matera and Alberobello
- Discover mouthwatering local food and wine
- Charming hotels in great locations
- Walks are optional with plenty of time to discover each destination
Puglia is a land forged in history by an incredible mixture of civilisations and cultures. From the unique 'trulli' style houses of Alberobello, the cave houses (Sassi) in Matera, to the beautiful White City of Ostuni. This independent walking trip allows you to discover the beauty of the region at your own relaxed pace. There is plenty of time to appreciate the magnificent coastline and spend lingering afternoons savouring the traditional cuisine.
Day 1: Start Matera
Day 2: Beautiful morning hike to rock churches on the Murgia plateau
Day 3: Morning transfer to Alberobello
Day 4: Follow an old aqueduct through the Itria Valley, amongst ancient olive trees,
vineyards and trulli
Day 5: Transfer to Ostuni; the ‘White City’; optional loop walk
Day 6: Transfer to Ostuni train station and train to Lecce; optional walk in the
Day 7: Train to Otranto and hike along the coastline
Day 8: End Lecce
- 3 days point-to-point walking; 3 free days, 2 with optional walks. Low altitude throughout Self-guided holiday. Min age 12 yrs 2 nights in 3-star hotels, 3 nights in charming B & Bs and 2 nights in a typical trullo , All accommodation
- All breakfasts 1 typical product tasting
- Walk and bag transfers
- In situ briefing
- Walking app
- 24/7 helpline
- Guided tour of Matera on day 2
- Any international flights to Matera and from Lecce are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Self-Guided Walking in Puglia and Matera tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 62+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Self-Guided Walking in Puglia and Matera tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 05 May 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 05 May 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Self-Guided Walking in Puglia and Matera tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Self-Guided Walking in Puglia and Matera tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.