- Bicycle tour
- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 14+ yrs
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Cycle through UNESCO historic towns, olive groves and past whiteconed trulli
- Ride along the Adriatic and Ionian Seas
- Enjoy fine seafood and wine
In the heart of the Mediterranean lies Puglia, a unique landscape sandwiched between the Adriatic and Ionian seas. We explore the very best of this captivating region and begin by cycling through two towns that both possess UNESCO world heritage sites. The region is mainly flat, which lends itself perfectly to the self-guided cycle ahead; filled with spectacular views; beautiful coastline and mouth-watering cuisine.
Day 1: Start Matera. Make your own way from Bari or Brindisi to Matera by train or
Day 2: Ride through the historic ‘Sassi’ houses of Matera before heading to the
town of Alberobello
Day 3: Cycle through the lush Valle d'Itria, past the picturesque fairy-tale Trulli
houses to hilltop-town of Ostuni
Day 4: Train to Lecce; cycle through the countryside to Gallipoli on the Ionian
Coast with its old town situated on a rocky island
Day 5: Reach the most southerly point of Salento at Santa Maria di Leuca
Day 6: Follow the south coast of the Adriatic Sea to the ancient town of Otranto
Day 7: Continue along the shoreline through innumerable olive groves to the Baroque
city of Lecce
Day 8: End Lecce
- 7 nights comfortable hotels , All accommodation
- All breakfasts
- 6 days cycling with luggage transfers
- 99% asphalt, 1% unpaved roads
- Gentle undulations throughout
- Self-guided holiday. Min age 14 yrs
- /RideWithGPS/ navigation app
- Train ticket from Ostuni to Lecce
- Luggage transfers
- Maps and route notes
- Local bike hire
- /RideWithGPS/ navigation app
- Any international flights to Matera and from Lecce are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Puglia Self-Guided Cycling in the Heel of Italy tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 55+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Puglia Self-Guided Cycling in the Heel of Italy tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 05 May 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 05 May 2021, a deposit of 10% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 61 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Puglia Self-Guided Cycling in the Heel of Italy tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Puglia Self-Guided Cycling in the Heel of Italy tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.