- duration 4 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Explore the labyrinthlike Marrakech medina, with a local to guide you
- Savour the scent and taste of freshly baked bread at a local bakery and see how tanjia is prepared at a traditional hammam
- Listen to the stories of sultans and slaves in a decadent palace
- Discover photographs of Marrakech from over 100 years ago
With alleys within alleys, and lane ways that lead nowhere, navigating Marrakech's medina alone is a one-way ticket to Planet Frustration. Join this Marrakech tour to see it all, minus the sweaty confusion and language fails!
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
There is no other place in this Moroccan city that screams authentic Marrakech than the bustling medina. Diving into this chaotic city centre is a must-do for any visitor, but trying to navigate this labyrinth alone is like trying to find your way out of a rabbit hole. Luckily, on this Marrakech medina tour with a local, you don’t have to be a master navigator to get the full experience!
Your first stop is the Palais de Bahia. This palace and its gardens are one of the most beautiful areas in Marrakech, and signify the epitome of decadence in the city’s history. This haven of shady courtyards and mosaics was once home to the high and mighty of Marrakech, a place where rich men and their various wives and concubines would leisurely glide around, relaxing in their luxurious surroundings. Here you can stroll through the many, many rooms, whilst your guide tells you all the local stories about slaves and sultans.
After the palace, we’ll take a walk inside the Medina and stop at one of the local bakeries. Here, we’ll get to see how locals in the Medina prepare their bread then bring it here to be baked. We’ll even get a taste! Not far from here, we’ll make another food stop at a local neighbourhood hammam to see how the traditional Moroccan dish tanjia is prepared.
Your final stop on this Marrakech tour will show you a vision of the city in pictures, with a visit to the Photography Museum. Here you can browse the rotating selection of 4,500 photos, and get as close as you possibly can to glancing into the world of Marrakech 100 years ago. With portraits of the locals, vintage village scenes, and even photos of the Berber tribes of the Atlas Mountains, a visit to the Photography Museum is one of the essential things to do in Marrakech to really understand its history and culture.
Your tour will finish up back in Djemaa El-Fna, where your local guide will either be able to give you directions back to your accommodation, or you can continue your own Marrakech adventure in the souks and medina.
Note: All through Djemaa El-Fna there are fake guides who will try to convince you to do a tour with them. Please make sure you find the official guide, who will be holding an Urban Adventures sign or badge and will be waiting for you in front of the café.
- Local English-speaking guide
- sample of freshly baked bread
- entrance fees to Palais De Bahia and the Photography Museum.
- Tips / gratuities for your guide
- items of a personal nature.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: Medina, Palaces & Tombs tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 18 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 18 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: Medina, Palaces & Tombs tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: Medina, Palaces & Tombs tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Outside Café France in Djemaa El-Fna. As you walk into Djemaa El-Fna through the main entrance this is a 3-storey café on the right side of the square. Look for the guide holding an Urban Adventures sign or badge.Meeting end point :
Djemma El Fna Square.Lonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.