- Bicycle tour
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 6 days
- tour type Private
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Visit the impressive Greek Temples of Paestum, among the best preserved in the world
- Cycle along deserted beaches, into wild mountain scenery and through rural landscapes
- Enjoy the charming fishing harbours and amazing views over the Mediterranean
The region of Campania has been known as a paradise on earth since ancient times. The Greeks built some of their most impressive temples here and under the Romans, it became known as Campania Felix or the Happy Land. When travelling through this region one becomes overwhelmed by its wealth of cultural and natural attractions, from the great city of Naples to the well-known Costiera Amalfitana, with its towering cliffs and picturesque coves.
But Campania’s real secret is located south of Salerno. Here the coastline bulges out into an expanse of a mountainous landmass known as the Cilento, now one of Italy’s biggest National Parks, with World Heritage listing.
Inland, the Cilento is largely undisturbed by the 21st century and you will encounter few other tourists along your way. You will cycle past world-famous cultural sites, through pristine natural areas and dreamy coastal scenery. Your trip will take you on small country roads passing through rough mountain scenery, as well as attractive countryside, with vineyards and olive groves.
During the whole tour, you will stay close to the coast, so you’ll have many occasions to alternate the cycling with a swim or relax on an empty beach. You will cycle past the archaeological site of Paestum on your way to a genuine mozzarella farm and climb up to some nice viewpoints on the coastal plain. Further on you will cycle around Monte Stella, dotted with several typical medieval hamlets, and continue along the coast towards the tiny fishing villages of Acciaroli and Pioppi to the Greek site of Velia. From here the coastal route goes a bit higher up, passing through the charming medieval towns of Ascea and Pisciotta, before descending to the sea close to Cape Palinuro again.
The last part of your route takes you along the stunning coast to one of the pearls of the southern coast, Marina di Camerota. A great panoramic ride along the lower slopes of the Bulgheria Mountain – and perhaps a last swim off one of the wonderful beaches is the superb ending to this great cycling tour.
Day 1: Arrival Paestum
Day 2: Over the plain and through the foothills of Paestum
Day 3: Paestum to San Marco di Castellabate
Day 4: San Marco di Castellabate to Pisciotta
Day 5: Pisciotta to the southern Coast, along Cape Palin
Day 6: End of the tour
- 5 Breakfasts and 4 Dinners
- Extensive route notes, with description of the route & tourist information
- Maps at 1: 50.000 scale (or better); GPS waypoints and tracks (optional)
- 24/7 assistance
- Luggage transport
- Private transfers as specified
- Single supplement
- Departure taxes & visas
- Travel Insurance
- Drinks and meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Optional additional tours or activities
- Items of personal nature
- Bicycle rental (available on request)
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
20% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure, but the 20% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 20% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.Other Practical InformationLevel of difficulty: Moderate. Mostly moderate rides but inevitably with several climbs, only a few of which are really strenuous. All roads are well paved and mostly quiet, with little traffic except for some stretches near Paestum during the first two days and the last. Extensions or shortcuts are possible on some days. Fitness: Some experience of bicycle touring and a good general physical condition will certainly make your travel experience more enjoyable. You should be able to cycle for several hours a day even in hot dry weather conditions.