- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 11 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 12+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Change dates It is free to change your tour start date within 30 days of departure.
- Choose a different tour Select a new tour run by the same tour operator within 30 days of departure.
- Learn about the Ma’nene death ritual, or the ‘ceremony of cleaning corpses’ – a 900year old tradition where the Torajan people dig up and spend time with the dead.
- Traverse some of Indonesia’s most stunning landscapes as you trek well away from the tourist trail, through evergreen valleys and bamboo forests, staying in traditional villages and interacting with locals.
- Soak up the tranquil atmosphere of Ramang Ramang village as you float along the river in a traditional wooden boat, surrounded by the stunning mountainscape and acres of emerald green rice paddies.
- Be part of an incredible community project in the village of Puntondo – meet the fishermen and learn about the importance of the marine ecosystem, and how this project is helping to save the coastline.
Experience an island that ventures way beyond the imagination. Hike deep into the mountainous core of Sulawesi and witness the compelling combination of art, ritual and death that’s central to the existence of one of Indonesia’s more confronting cultures, on an unforgettable expedition that’s not fit for the faint-hearted. Inhale the fresh mountain air and traverse dense bamboo forests, undulating landscapes and deep fertile valleys on a breathtaking trek that sees you interacting with the locals and resting in remote villages. Leave the terraces of rice paddies behind to discover elaborate wooden effigies on the cliff-face tombs of Lemo, and meet the Taroja people – who, by faithfully following ancient traditions, preserve the belief that death is all a part of life’s journey.
Ramang Ramang - Pare Pare
Tana Toraja Trek
Tana Toraja Trek
Tana Toraja Trek - Rantepao
Puntondo - Makassar
- Hotel (7 nights), Guesthouse (2 nights), Dormitory (1 night)
- 10 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 3 Dinners
- Private mini van , Plane
- An expert tour leader
- Ramang Ramang - Boat trip & village visit
- Tana Toraja - Trek
- Tana Toraja - Ke'te Kesu' tongkonan buildings
- Tana Toraja - Lemo Burial Site
- Tana Toraja - Kambira Baby Graves
- Tana Toraja - Palawa Village
- Tana Toraja - Bori Parinding Standing Stones
- Puntondo - Fishermans village including traditional lunch
- Any international flights to/from Makassar are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Sulawesi Expedition: Tana Toraja Trek tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 46+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Sulawesi Expedition: Tana Toraja Trek tour. You can cancel the tour up to 24 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 23 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 18 February 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 18 February 2021, a deposit of 400 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 23 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Sulawesi Expedition: Tana Toraja Trek tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Sulawesi Expedition: Tana Toraja Trek tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip involves a lot of walking and trekking. Please ensure you bring sturdy walking shoes and comfortable clothes. To make the most of the trip, it's best if you have an excellent level of fitness.
- During the trek, you’ll be staying in simple style accommodation in remote villages and bathroom facilities will be shared rather than ensuite. This is a great opportunity to get to know the locals and experience the rural life of Sulawesi.
- Some of the traditions and practices of local people in this region may be quite confronting and very different from your own life. If you have an open mind and curiousity about the world and its people, then this trip is for you.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Safe Travels stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene global standardised protocols have been adopted.
- Departures will be limited to an average group size of 10 travellers to ensure COVID-19 safety for all travellers.
- Hygiene protocols have been adopted on this tour. Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing, physical distancing is highly encouraged, and frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.