- duration 2.5 hours
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Get a literal taste for life in Lucca by participating in the aperitivo tradition
- Sample Tuscan bread, Pecorino cheese, cured ham, and more!
- Indulge in Montecarlo red and white wines, artisan beer, and the secretrecipe local liqueur
- Uncover hidden corners of this medieval city
The flavours, the aromas, the colours, the smiles… they’re all part of life in Lucca! Learn more about the city as you sip your way through narrow streets and medieval squares. Artisanal beer, local wines, and even a top-secret liqueur will have you thirsty for more Lucca!
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
This Lucca tour is all about experiencing the city in an authentic way, by becoming a local for a day! Italy is famed for the importance it places on food and drink, so of course, we'll learn about (and taste!) lots of it as we go. And along the way, we'll uncover majestic city walls, narrow roads, tall towers, and arts and crafts shops. You'll also realise why Lucca is known as the city of 100 churches.
Your Lucca tour will start at the city's train station, and from there we'll walk past the majestic city walls and enjoy a view of Lucca before diving into local life. We'll head to the city centre, where the beautiful Romanesque marble Cathedral stands.
We'll then head to a favourite local spot: San Michele in Foro Square. This is where locals come to meet up with one another, typically for a friendly chat in a nice bar.
Our first food stop will be in a local bakery where we will try cecina, a traditional focaccia bread with unexpected ingredients, alongside a glass of Italian beer or wine.
Lucca's locals love going for aperitivo after work — meeting with friends and spending a few hours indulging in a glass of good wine and some savoury snacks. And because this tour is all about showing you local life, of course our next stop will be a Vineria, a small wine bar typical of the Tuscan tradition, where we'll order a glass of wine with a snack.
After a few minutes of walking through the attractive streets, we will reach Amphitheatre Square, the only oval square in Italy that takes the place of the typical Roman amphitheatre. We'll finally relax with a glass of wine or local beer — and, of course, you can't sample Italian wine or local beer without a side of cured meats and pecorino cheese.
Your tour ends here but feel free to hang around, order another drink and soak up the lively atmosphere of the square. Before you go, don't forget to ask your local guide for more tips on what else to see, do and eat during your stay in lovely Lucca.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food samples
- 3 glasses of wine or beer.
- Additional food and drink
- souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- tips and gratuities for the guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: Lucca Aperitivo Adventure tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 25 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 25 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: Lucca Aperitivo Adventure tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: Lucca Aperitivo Adventure tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
At the entrance to Lucca train station, under the taxi sigMeeting end point :
Piazza dell'AnfiteatroLonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.