- Immerse yourself in centuries of Jewish history in Portugal, especially Lisbon
- Visit Lisbon´s Synagogue and learn about its history
- Learn about the “Marranos”, who they were and the way they lived
- Walk down the “Rua da Judiaria” in Alfama and discover the history of the street
Since their exodus out of Egypt the Jewish people wandered through lands, countries and continents, emerging as the ultimate nomads.
Jewish communities, during the centuries, appeared, disappeared and reappeared nearly everywhere in the world, belonging everywhere and yet, nowhere.
When the kingdom of Portugal was established in the 12th century, the crown recognised the Jewish community as a distinct legal entity, with its own jurisdiction.
From here on you will learn about the history and the places that marked both cultures, Portuguese Christians and the Portuguese Jewish Communities.
You will be able to visit Lisbon´s synagogue (Shaare Tikva), learn about the different Jewish communities that lived in Portugal and especially in Lisbon.
Visit the historic quarters, famous memorials, and immerse yourself in the rich history of its culture.
Learn about important people, Jewish and Portuguese, that helped shape history or save thousands of souls for centuries, as Abraham Anahory or Aristides Sousa Mendes.
Finally, find out about the Lisbon of today, a city of tolerance, history, but also creativity. Finally, visit the Alfama city quarter.
Your guide will make sure you experience as much as possible, as well as provide insight into what to do in the city for the rest of your stay!
- Pick up and drop off at a hotel in Lisbon or from a cruise port;
- Transportation by car or van with air-conditioning;
- Entrance fees;
- Bottled Water;
- Private Guide
- Flexibility: start time, length of stay in each site, modifications to suggested itinerary, etc.
- Lunch and any other items not mentioned in the programme
If cancelling less than 48 hours before the chosen start date no refund applies.