- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 18 days
- tour type Private
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 18-60 yrs
- max group size 12
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Enjoy multiday trekking in southern Peru while enjoying stunning mountain landscapes.
- Ascend the colourful Rainbow Mountain (Mount Vinicunca)
- Spend one night camping out under the stars, near the famous ruins of Choquequirao
- Explore the famous Inca citadel of Machu Picchu
- Start by landing in Lima and transfer directly, by domestic flight, to Cusco.
- Flying down to Cusco, you’ll do a Sacred Valley tour to acclimatise fully with some touring & activities before embarking on a warm-up trek of Rainbow Mountain (Mt. Vinicunca). Here you’ll trek one of the most intriguing and colourful mountain ranges in Peru.
- Then onto the main expedition trek of Choquequirao to Machu Picchu, an epic trek traversing the Apurimac valley taking you through both Incan citadels of Choquequirao and Machu Picchu.
– Choquequirao to Machu Picchu Trek: This 65 km trek takes you through lush jungles; deep canyons, and many snow-capped peaks along the way to Machu Picchu. If you’re in for a great Peru adventure, this is one of the most beautiful treks in the Cusco Region.
- Peru Amazon Tours – Flying into the Amazon jungle, for some exploration & relaxation after a long trek. This trip is designed for the adventurous; whilst also allowing you to see the best of Tambopata Jungle Reserve wildlife.
- Take a domestic flight back to Cusco on your final day; before heading back out to Lima for onward connecting international flights.
This plan is fully customisable, please contact us so we can design the right trip plan for your group.
I travelled with my guide in a bed bus from Arequipa to Cotahausi and at 5:00 am the next morning we caught a collectivo to start the first trek. All travel to the distant little villages in the Canyon was by local collectivos and the guide used his knowledge of the timetables to catch the collectivos on their return journeys. Travelling with local people was an extremely interesting glimpse into everyday life.
One morning we caught a bus at 3:00 am to travel to Puyca to walk up to the Wari ruins high above the village at the Archaeological site of Maucallacta, 3925 metres: such a peaceful, pre Inca site high up against the heights of the Canyon overlooking ancient terraces that swept down to the bottom of the valley. There was even a stone bathing area that we recognised as an Inca addition.
Cotahausi Canyon is extremely beautiful, remote, diverse and unspoilt with many interesting attractions to walk to including the impressive tall Cactus Forest and Sepia Falls. One very cold morning we travelled to a village called Huaynacotas high up on the sides of the Canyon. It had snowed the night before and a volcanic crater and the ridges above the snow line were dusted with white. After walking along the ridge road to enjoy the view along the canyon, we took five hours to walk on a narrow track down to the river and then on to Luicho to splash in the local thermal pools.
Cotahuasi Canyon is an amazing place to trek and I am very grateful to James and my guide that I was given the opportunity to have such an authentic experience.”
This trip was just perfect. James did an amazing job listening to what we wanted to do, and making all of those wishes come true. Will definitely be using James again when we travel!!”
Day 1: Lima airport arrival & transfer to Barranco
Day 2: Lima - Cusco (flight)
Day 3: Cusco acclimatization
Day 4: Cusco - Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca)
Day 5: Via Ferrata Combo & optional zipline
Day 6: Cusco ‒ Chiquisca
Day 7: Chiquisca ‒ Choquequirao
Day 8: Explore Choquequirao
Day 9: Choquequirao - Mayisal
Day 10: Mayisal - Yanama
Day 11: Yanama - Totoru
Day 12: Totoru ‒ Lucmabamba
Day 13: Machu Picchu tour - Aguas Calientes - Cusco
Day 14: Cusco - Puerto Maldonado (Huitoto Lake Lodge)
Day 15: Huitoto Lake - Jungle Lodge
Day 16: Jungle Lodge - Puerto Maldonado - Cusco
Day 17: Last day in Cusco
Day 18: Cusco to Lima (domestic flight)
- A professional, English-speaking tour guide
- Road/air transfer as per the itinerary
- Accommodation as per the itinerary
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Anything not mentioned in the 'What's Included' section or the itinerary
- Expenses that are personal in nature
- International airline tickets
- Visa fees
- Earn US$ 118+ in travel credits.
- Excellent customer service. Our travel experts are ready to help you 24/7.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
20% Deposit payable upfront. Remaining balance payable 45 days prior to trip departure. Free cancellation up to 45 days prior departure, but the 20% deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applicable within 45 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 20% is required when booking this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 45 days prior departure. For any bookings within 45 days of departure, the full tour amount will be charged upon booking.Travel Insurance
We advise to take out Travel Insurance to cover for any unforeseen circumstances. Bookmundi recommends World Nomads' travel insurance.