- duration 15 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Trek difficulty Easy
- Enjoy the lessertrekked route to Mount Salcantay before walking the last day of the classic Inca Trail
- Explore the iconic ‘lost city’ of Machu Picchu at the best time of day
- Trek among the lush valleys, alpine lakes and rugged snowcapped peaks of the Peruvian Andes
- Experience historic Cusco along with world class restaurants, museums and galleries in the bustling capital of Lima
Experience one of Peru's best treks and the delights of Cusco. The soaring peaks of the Andes and the cultural legacies of the Incas are two of Peru’s most compelling attractions. We discover both and much more on this amazing two-week adventure. After savouring the historical and cultural highlights of Cusco and the Sacred Valley of the Incas while we take our time acclimatising, we commence our trek. This little-visited trail takes us through breathtaking mountain scenery as we make our way to the foothills of the majestic snow-capped peaks of Salcantay, Humantay and Huayanay. For a week we explore the stunning wilderness of the Peruvian Andes, following trails to 5,000 m in the Cordillera Vilcabamba and establishing camp beneath the spectacular 6,220m Mount Salcantay. This stunning trail is much quieter than the busier Inca Trail and is highly regarded by past trekkers. On the final day we join the classic Inca Trail for the unforgettable sight of Machu Picchu from the ‘Sun Gate’. Rather than rushing back to Cusco, we spend a night in nearby Aguas Calientes for a well-deserved soak in the local hot springs before heading back to Machu Picchu the next day at the best time, as the sun is rising over these dramatic ruins. If you’re looking for an unforgettable encounter with Peruvian culture, history and wilderness—one that gets you off the beaten track but takes in the must-see sights of Cusco, the Sacred Valley of the Incas and Machu Picchu—then this is the adventure for you!
Day 1 : Arrive Lima
Day 2 : Fly to Cusco
Day 3 : In Cusco, sightseeing
Day 4 : To Sacred Valley of the Incas
Day 5 : In Sacred Valley of the Incas
Day 6 : Drive to Challacancha, commence trek (trekking approx 4-6hrs)
Day 7 : Trek up the valley between Salcantay and Humantay (trekking approx 4-7hrs)
Day 8 : Trek over Incachiriasca pass to Acobamba (trekking approx 6-7hrs)
Day 9 : Descend to Paucarcancha and up to the village of Q’esca (trekking approx 7-8hrs)
Day 10 : Trek over the Ancascocha Pass (trekking approx 6-7hrs)
Day 11 : Descend to the Sacred Valley at Chilca (trekking approx 5-6hrs)
Day 12 : Trek to Machu Picchu (trekking approx 7-8hrs)
Day 13 : Explore Machu Picchu, return to Cusco
Day 14 : Cusco - free day
Day 15 : Drive to Cusco airport, trip concludes
- Comfortable and central hotels primarily Casa Andina Classic hotels
- 14 breakfasts, 7 lunches and 6 dinners
- Airport transfers if arriving/departing on first or last day
- Private internal transportation
- Expert bilingual guide
- Entrance to Machu Picchu on two occasions
- Group medical kit
- The use of a gear pack including sleeping bag, fibre filled jacket, thermarest and headtorch
- Group camping equipment & porters to carry personal gear
- Sightseeing and site entrance fees as listed (including Machu Picchu entrance fee)
- International flights and taxes
- Internal flights Flights Lima/Cusco/Lima are not included. The domestic flights in Peru will be quoted separately as they can often change considerably and depends on the international airline that you fly with to Peru. Certain airlines flying to Peru offer special discounted fares for domestic flights if booked in conjunction with the international ticket. Domestic flights have become increasingly expensive, and rather than charge everyone a set amount, our intention is to find you the best possible domestic flight deal in conjunction with your international ticket. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more details and a flight quote. If you are booking the internal flights yourself, please contact us so we can advise which flights are suitable.
- Travel Insurance (compulsory)
- Items of a personal nature
- Excess baggage costs
- Medical treatment
- Cost of laundry and alcoholic beverages (except wine on last trek day)
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 90+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Salcantay Base Camp to Machu Picchu Trek tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 14 July 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 14 July 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Salcantay Base Camp to Machu Picchu Trek tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Salcantay Base Camp to Machu Picchu Trek tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.