Lhasa — Tour Highlights and Travel Tips
Lhasa Tour Highlights
- Explore the wonderful Potala Palace, an elevated royal residence which is the most prominent site in the city. It will certainly be the highlight of your tour to Lhasa.
- Get lost in a maze of colorful stalls at Barkhor Street Market, where you can shop for souvenirs to remember your trip.
- Pay a visit to Jokhang Temple, which shines with its golden rooftops. When you witness the pilgrims and feel the divine atmosphere, you can see why the locals consider this to be the holiest temple in Tibet.
- Visit the Namtso Lake and be in awe of the incredible natural scenery on display. Surrounded by snow-capped peaks, the azure lake offers a dramatic photo opportunity.
- Don’t forget to explore Norbulingka, the summer palace of the Dalai Lama. The decorations are superb, and the flower garden makes this residence a sweet spot to wander around.
- Discover Ganden Monastery, one of the oldest Buddhist monasteries in Tibet. Besides its religious significance, it is also worth visiting for its location in the picture-perfect Kyi-Chu valley.
Lhasa Travel Tips
- Don’t discuss the political situation in Tibet. This is a very sensitive topic in both Tibet and China.
- It is compulsory to obtain a Tibet entry permit before traveling to Lhasa.
- Individual travels into Tibet are not allowed. The only way to get around is via a travel agency.
- Even though the snowy summits of Tibet are tempting you for a quick hike, it’s best to take it easy to decrease chances of altitude sickness.
- Don’t take photos of Buddha statues in monasteries, for these are considered to be sacred.
- Bring a cap and sunglasses; sun rays are brutal on high altitude, and the snow makes it even more intense due to the reflection of the sun.