- duration 8 days
- tour type Self-guided
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Self guided/Independent
- Cycling through the magical landscapes of Galicia en route to Santiago de Compostela
- Exploring interesting pilgrimage towns and villages
- Arriving in Santiago and receiving a pilgrimage certificate for cycling almost 300km along the Camino
- Experiencing the terrific sense of camaraderie on the trail
Cycle from Leon to Santiago on the second stage of this exciting ride through history along the Camino. Set off from the cathedral city of Leon to the ultimate destination for most modern day pilgrims on the Camino, Santiago de Compostela, on this exciting cycling trip. This itinerary is Stage 2 of our epic full length ride of the Spanish Camino. For more than 1000 years the Camino de Santiago has represented the ultimate adventure for pilgrims and history buffs alike. While the 783km French route from Roncesvalles to the Cathedral of Santiago has been well trodden by hiking boots and horse hooves through the centuries, in more recent times the pilgrimage route has become a natural magnet for cyclists seeking out iconic routes. Beginning just over half way along the route in the historic city of Leon, this exhilarating cycle takes in some of the most breathtaking landscapes, unique monuments and typical villages of northern Spain. There are some challenging stages, such as the O Cebreiro Pass, but you will be more than rewarded when you savour the rich Spanish gastronomy, traditional regional cuisine and excellent wines. Each night you'll return to comfortable, atmospheric hotels, which at the end of a hard day's cycle is intrinsic to this cycle itinerary.
Day 1 : Arrive León
Day 2 : Cycle through Castilian landscapes to Astorga (54km/34mi)
Day 3 : Cycle up to Cruz de Ferro and on to Ponferrada (53km/33mi)
Day 4 : Through vineyards before a demanding cycle to mythical O Cebreiro (53km/33mi)
Day 5 : Downhill via Sarria to Portomarín (64km/40mi)
Day 6 : A more relaxing cycle through Galicia's rural landscape to Arzúa (53km/33mi)
Day 7 : A short but demanding cycle to the Cathedral of Santiago (39km/24mi)
Day 8 : Trip concludes Santiago de Compostela
- 7 nights in hotels on a twin share basis with ensuite facilities - (optional upgrade available to superior hotel in Arzua (recommended) and Santiago - supplement applies)
- Information pack including maps and road book per room booked
- 7 breakfasts, 6 dinners - Continental breakfasts are served and will often consist of breads, spreads, yoghurt, cheese, tea, coffee & juices. Dinner will consist of 3 courses, usually starting with a salad, followed by chicken, red meat, fish or a pasta dish & finishing with a dessert of fruit or cakes. Note: Breakfast is served from 8am which is not always conducive to an early start, particularly required in the summer months. You may choose to skip breakfast and take a bread roll and cheese from the breakfast buffet. Dinner is served late in traditional Spanish style starting from 9-9:30pm. An afternoon siesta may be required!
- Luggage transfer (1 bag of 20kg max pp - additional bags and excess weight will attract a surcharge)
- Mountain bike rental (standard model or hybrid touring bike on request) with repair kit, lock, panniers, water bottle, pump & helmet (gel saddle, toe clips, SPD pedals, MTB e-bikes and Upgraded or Premium model MTBs available - supplement applies)
- Emergency hotline
- Pilgrim's Passport
- Travel to Leon and from Santiago de Compostela
- Lunch daily, 1 dinner and all beverages (except at breakfast)
- Items of a personal nature
- Entrance fees to sights and museums
- Travel Insurance
- Toe clips - allow approx. EUR7
- Excess baggage charges - please advise us if you will have more than one bag weighing a max of 20kgs as extra charges will apply for additional pieces of luggage. Please do not tie smaller bags onto your main luggage as we only include one bag and they will be charged as an extra bag. Charges will be higher if not paid when final balance for your trip is due.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 68 today.
- Save US$ 45+ in travel credits on your next booking.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Spanish Camino by Bike: Leon to Santiago tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Spanish Camino by Bike: Leon to Santiago tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Spanish Camino by Bike: Leon to Santiago tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.