- duration 3 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- age_requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Discover the incredible city of La Paz with a local
- Learn all about the unique history behind San Pedro Prison, one of La Paz’s most famous landmarks
- Wander through the fascinating Witches Market, learning all about Bolivian myths, legends, and voodoo.
- Take in the outstanding view over La Paz from a scenic viewpoint above the city where your public transportation is a cable car
This La Paz tour hits all the right marks – captivating, scenic, and a little bit spooky. Journey through La Paz with a local to discover all the stories that make up this magical Bolivian city, from the inmates of San Pedro Prison, to the mysterious tales of The Witches Market, and the locals that live and work in the highest capital city on Earth.
Your La Paz adventure will start in the very heart of this incredible city, at Plaza Murillo. There couldn’t be a more perfect backdrop for your introduction to Bolivia’s war, wealth, and nature, than the impressive architecture that surrounds you in this square. We’ll not only kick off your tour with plenty of insights, we’ll also make a stop here to try a traditional, tasty mid-morning Bolivian snack (because fun facts should always be accompanied by food, right?!).
As we move away from Plaza Murillo on this La Paz tour, we’ll head towards San Pedro Prison, an infamous La Paz landmark that is best seen from a local’s perspective. Your guide will give you the lowdown on what makes this prison so famous, and what makes it one of the most fascinating local stories in town.
We’ll stroll past the prison walls (don’t worry, it’s completely safe!) and then head towards several local markets, places where Bolivian culture really comes alive. Lean about the staple foods of Bolivia, such as the endless different types of Andean potatoes, produce that is worked into the local cuisine in all kinds of interesting ways. As we continue to tour La Paz, we’ll also head towards a local fruit market to taste freshly-picked organic fruit, sourced from every corner of Bolivia. Taste mouth-watering, flavourful fruit from the Bolivian Amazon rainforest, and try to guess their names!
Next up, we’ll take a cable car (a popular form of public transport in La Paz) and journey up into the outer heights of the city. We’ll reach a spectacular scenic viewpoint, where you can see across the city of La Paz from above, and may well be the only foreigners in sight doing so. Take some unforgettable photos of this beautiful panorama, and enjoy the moment as you reflect on all the activity going on below you.
We’ll then jump back in a cable car and journey down to the Witches’ Market, another classic La Paz neighborhood. Here you can discover the myths and legends of Bolivia, from spooky voodoo to everything you need to know about the coca leaf. You’ll even find some very interesting Bolivian aphrodisiacs!
On our way back to downtown (again, via cable car), we’ll make a short stop off at another market, where locals buy their day-to-day goods. Here you can take in yet another snapshot of local life in La Paz, shop for some produce yourself, or perhaps buy some last minute souvenirs.
We’ll arrive back at Plaza Murillo between 12 and 1pm, depending on the traffic (which can be crazy in La Paz!) and the pace of our group.
- Local English speaking guide
- Cable car and a traditional mid-morning snack.
- Local transport fees
- any drinks
- tips / gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this To 3,600 Metres, and Beyond tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 17 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 17 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
To 3,600 Metres, and Beyond tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this To 3,600 Metres, and Beyond tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Plaza Murillo main square, in front of the giant stone book statue.Meeting end point :
Plaza Murillo main square, in front of the giant stone book statue.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.