- duration 21 days
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- 2 nights in the world's highest capital city, La Paz
- Day trip on the surreal Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats
- Visit the Uyuni train graveyard
- 2 day crossing of the desolate and surreal Altiplano
This is a journey across the roof of the Andes, from the high Altiplano to the heart of Argentina's grasslands. It crosses the spectacular passes of the Andes three times along remote seldom travelled routes with spectacular volcanoes and high lakes studded with flamingos.
This is overlanding at its best and you will travel from the high plateau to the depths of the Atacama, the driest desert on Earth and the desert settlement of San Pedro, before heading to the west of the Andes and the grasslands of Argentina.
It contrasts the historic cities of La Paz and Salta with the cosmopolitan centres of Mendoza and Santiago, capital of Chile. It offers a wonderful insight into the life and culture of the Argentinean Gauchos as we spend a couple of days exploring the cordilleras with gauchos on their horses at a working Estancia.
Day 1: La Paz
Day 2: La Paz
Day 3: Uyuni
Day 4: Uyuni
Day 5: Altiplano
Day 6: San Pedro de Atacama
Day 7: San Pedro de Atacama
Day 8: Salta
Day 9: Salta
Day 10: Cafayate
Day 11: Cafayate
Day 12: Recreo
Day 13: Estancia
Day 14: Estancia
Day 15: Estancia
Day 16: Cordoba
Day 17: Mendoza
Day 18: Mendoza
Day 19: Santiago
Day 20: Santiago
Day 21: Santiago
- Overland Expedition Vehicle, Jeep
- Two Dragoman Crew Members, Local Guides where necessary
- 20 Breakfasts
- 8 Lunches
- 7 Dinner
- Any international flights to La Paz and from Santiago are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Altiplano & Gaucho Explorer tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 82 today.
- Earn US$ 55+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Altiplano & Gaucho Explorer tour. You can cancel the tour up to 61 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 60 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 02 February 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 02 February 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 60 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Altiplano & Gaucho Explorer tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Altiplano & Gaucho Explorer tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Local Payment The local payment is a group fund, paid separately from the trip price on the first day of the tour. It covers everything that the group does together on the ground. This is primarily hotel accommodation and campsite fees, meals whilst camping (but not while eating in restaurants), and included activities and puts money directly back to the local community. The local payment, or kitty system, is unique to overlanding tours and provides maximum flexibility and best value on the road - you can see exactly what is being paid for, you get everything at cost price, it keeps costs competitive by leveraging group expenses and saves on administrative costs. The fund is run by the tour guide, and any excess left over at the end is returned equally to the group. Local prices are estimated in USD when we print the brochure then reviewed monthly as local costs and exchange rates vary throughout the year. It's therefore important once you book your trip to check the website regularly and just before departure for any changes to the amount.