- City sightseeing
- Museum and gallery visits
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- War sites
- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 12 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 15+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Trace the steps of the Geisha around the alleyways of Kyoto’s atmospheric Gion district and visit a Zen Buddhism temple and hear about its practice while sipping green tea.
- There’s no better way to get around Japan than the country’s famous railway system. Be impressed by the efficiency and ultramodernity as you zip from place to place with your included 7day Japan Rail Pass.
- A visit to the Hiroshima Peace Park is a sobering but important experience for understanding the tragedies of Japan’s not so distant past.
- Stay in a ryokan hotel with indoor and outdoor onsens, taste regional specialities, explore local markets and perhaps stop by a sake brewery in Edoera Takayama.
Japan is a country steeped in fascinating historic traditions and modern wonders, and this 12-day journey uncovers the highlights. Like the history, the country is varied and diverse – from the ancient once-capital of Kyoto to the wartime reminders in Hiroshima, the beautiful Edo-era city of Takayam to the bustling metropolis of Tokyo. On this small group adventure, you'll gradually reveal the rich variety of the country as you visit temples, castles, shrines and holy mountains while mixing with locals and experiencing the real Japan. With a knowledgeable leader joining you each step of the way, come on this magical journey and experience all that Japan has to offer.
Nara - Kyoto
Himeji – Hiroshima
Miyajima Island - Hiroshima
- Hotel (9 nights), Takayama Ryokan Feature Stay (2 nights)
- 11 Breakfasts, 2 Dinners
- Bullet train , Local train , Public bus , Subway , Taxi , Boat
- Complimentary Airport Arrival Transfer
- Kyoto - Gion District walk
- Kyoto - Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion)
- Kyoto - Daitokuji Temple
- Kyoto - Fushimi Inari-Taisha
- Kyoto - Gekkei-kan Sake Brewery & tasting
- Nara - Todaiji Temple
- Nara - Kasuga Grand Shrine
- Himeji - Himeji Castle
- Hiroshima - Miyajima Island day trip
- Miyajima - Itsukushima-jinja Shrine
- Hiroshima - Peace Park & A - Bomb Dome
- Hiroshima - Peace Museum
- Takayama - Market visit
- Takayama - Hida Folk Village
- Tokyo - City tour
- Tokyo - Sensoji Temple
- Tokyo - Hama Rikyu Garden
- Any international flights to Kyoto and from Tokyo are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Explore Japan tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 209+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Explore Japan tour. You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 55 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 29 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 29 January 2021, a deposit of 600 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 55 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Explore Japan tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Explore Japan tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Is this trip right for you:
- This trip can involve a lot of walking to see Japan's essential sights. Please ensure you bring sturdy walking shoes and comfortable clothes. To make the most of the trip, it's best if you have at least a moderate level of fitness.
- This trip travels primarily on public transport, as it is so efficient and convenient in Japan. Fast trains are used to move between cities, as well as some private and public buses. Be aware when packing for this trip that you will need to be able to carry your luggage on and off public transport, and to and from accommodations. In order to make travel on public transport easier, on some days we will forward your large luggage to our next destination, packing an overnight bag for that night’s stay.
- Your accommodation in Takayama is a Japanese ryokan hotel. Rooms are in traditional Japanese style with ensuite shower facilities. A shared onsen (Japanese traditional communal hot spring bath) is also available for guests.
- Renovation works on Miyajima's floating torii gate started in June 2019. During the renovation works, the torii gate is covered up under a partially transparent scaffolding. Furthermore, a bridge is being built on the left side of the gate (when viewed from the shrine) to aid the renovation works. A date for the completion of the renovation works has not been set yet, but the works are expected to take at least one year.
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and general sanitizing has been implemented on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are furthermore regularly disinfected.
- Distancing measures have been implemented to safeguard against COVID-19.
Last modified (date)
Finish point description
Climate and seasonal
Your fellow travellers
The Intrepid Foundation