- duration 3.5 hours
- tour type Group
- age requirement 6+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Experience the peacefulness of a Zen rock garden at the Tofukuji Temple
- Experience daily life in a local neighbourhood
- Walk through Kyoto’s famous red tori gates and spot the fox statues at Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Discover the unique Geisha culture in the historical entertainment district of Gion
Kyoto may no longer be the capital of Japan, but it’s staged a comeback and is now considered Japan's capital of culture. Take that Tokyo! Join this Kyoto tour to learn about zen gardens, Geisha and all things Kyoto.
Experience the temples, shrines and gardens that make Kyoto Japan’s capital of culture on this unique tour of the city. Founded as the national capital more than 1,200 years ago, Kyoto originally developed as a centre of aristocratic culture, and is most famous for its Zen gardens and Geisha traditions.
On this Kyoto tour, you'll discover some of the magic of the city through cultural explorations and local experiences. First we'll head to one of the city’s must-see sights, the Tofukuji Temple. Originally built in the 13th century, and famous for its traditional, yet modern, Zen garden, this is a great place to escape to a relaxed atmosphere in the city. Learn about the origin and inspiration for the garden, and what it means to the monks who continue to live and study here.
Next we walk through a nice local residential neighbourhood to the Fushimi Inari Shrine. Home to a seemingly endless stretch of iconic red torii gates spread across a thickly wooded mountain, this shrine is a world unto itself. Walk through snaking corridors of red gates, made famous in the film Memoirs of Geisha, stopping to admire the shrines and many fox statues. Major photo opportunity alert!
As the sun begins to set on the Toriis, we leave behind the foxes and head to Gion, famously known as Kyoto’s Geisha district. This area was the model for Memoirs of Geisha, and it comes alive with people and lights in the evening. Stroll past the 17th-century traditional restaurants and teahouses, many of which are still exclusive establishments for Geisha entertainment, see the theatres and traditional shops, and soak up the atmosphere of this historic quarter.
This iconic neighbourhood makes for the ideal end to this Kyoto city tour, and is sure to leave you completely enthralled with this dynamic city.
- Transportation fare during tour
- Local English-speaking guide
- Entry to Tofukiji.
- Food and drinks
- transportation to/from the meeting and end points
- souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- tips/gratuities for your guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this City of Culture Kyoto tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 29 November 2020, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 29 November 2020, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
City of Culture Kyoto tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this City of Culture Kyoto tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
In front of Central post office on the north side of Kyoto station. "Chu-o yu-bin-kyo-ku" (Central post office) is less than a minute walk from the station. Please meet in front of the door closer to the convenience store "Lawson".Meeting end point :
Gion neighborhood.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.