- duration 14 days
- tour type Small group Request as private
- age requirement 16-95 yrs
- max group size 16
- guiding method Fully guided
- Tour Code BM-7527
- Footprint Carbonneutral CO2 emissions resulting from all trips on Bookmundi will be offset via investments in carbon reduction projects.
- Operated in English
- Spot geishas in the Gion district of Kyoto
- Experience cherry blossom season or beautiful autumn colours
- Take the incredible high-speed bullet train
- Explore temples in Kyoto and discover futuristic Tokyo
Ancient wooden temples, raked-gravel Zen gardens and chanting Buddhist monks juxtaposed with space-age towers, neon lights and bullet trains; the blend of old and new in Japan is captivating. As we explore the southern and western stretches of Honshu, the largest island in Japan, we discover unique culture among the serene shrines and gardens of Nara and Kyoto and the rarely visited mountainous heartland of castles and spas. Our last stop is the vast and futuristic capital city of Tokyo: sprawling, inimitably busy, welcoming and extraordinary.
Day 1: Start Kyoto
Day 2: Visit Nijo Castle, Kinkaku-ji (Golden Pavilion) and Ryoan-ji temple; followed by Nishiki Market and historic Gion
Day 3: Day trip to Nara, ancient capital of Japan. Visit impressive Unesco temples including Todai-ji, housing the largest bronze statue of the Buddha in the world
Day 4: Free day in Kyoto; relax in one of the many Zen gardens, walk the popular Philosopher’s Path or experience a traditional tea ceremony
Day 5: Day trip to Hiroshima; visit Peace Memorial Park and the pretty island of Miyajima
Day 6: Travel from Kyoto to Takayama, a traditional old town set amid the Japanese Alps; visit the Hida Folk Village
Day 7: Orientation tour in Takayama and free day to explore the peaceful shrines and temples
Day 8: On to the medieval village of Tsumago; short leisurely walk on the Nakasendo trail; train to Matsumoto
Day 9: Visit Matsumoto Castle and travel by train to the spa town of Yudanaka; soak in a hot spring
Day 10: See the much-loved snow monkeys before travelling by train to Tokyo; evening orientation tour
Day 11: Optional trip to Hakone or to the lovely seaside town of Kamakura
Day 12: A full-day city tour of Tokyo, including the Senso-ji Temple
Day 13: Free day for further exploration; optional karaoke farewell night
Day 14: End Tokyo
- All transport and listed activities
- All accommodation
- 3 breakfasts and 3 dinners
- Group arrival transfer (for group flight)
- Free departure transfer by shuttle service (must be booked in advance before trip commences with Exodus and is subject to availability)
- Japan Rail Pass
- Travel insurance
- Single accommodation- (limited availability & on request)- 10 nights only at hotels in Kyoto, Matsumoto and Tokyo
- Visas or vaccinations
- Personal Itinerary can be tweaked and customized.
- Protected Travel within your own bubble.
- Professional Access our Travel Specialists' insider knowledge.
- Privacy Enjoy a tour focused solely on you or your travel group.
- Earn US$ 205+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- Carbon neutral tours.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Ancient & Modern Japan tour. You can cancel the tour up to 93 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 92 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 11 March 2024, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 11 March 2024, a deposit of 25% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 92 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Ancient & Modern Japan tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Ancient & Modern Japan tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are traveling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- Group sizes are kept small to maintain a low risk ‘small group bubble’, with an average of 10 guests in each group.
- Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- All travellers will be required to be fully vaccinated no less than two weeks prior to travel.