- Booking Type Instant Booking
- duration 13 days
- tour type Group Tour
- age requirement 18+ yrs
- Savour a local lunch in Darjeeling.
- Ride a World Heritagelisted toy train.
- Watch the sunrise on the Ganges.
- Experience the bustle of Delhi.
Anybody can view the sights of India by foot or bus — but you’re not just anybody. Instead, get off the beaten path and see India in a very untypical way — by train. Over two weeks, you’ll head north into Sikkim and Darjeeling via vans and local trains (including the famous toy trains in Darjeeling), giving you an up close and personal experience with authentic India. There’ll be plenty of palaces and forts to spot both on the train and off, and you’ll still get all the social elements of travelling with a group. Add in local meals and a large helping of culture, and this is a trip that’ll stay with you for a long time.
Day 1: Kolkata
Day 2: Kolkata/Jalpāiguri
Day 3: Jalpāiguri/Darjeeling
Day 4: Darjeeling
Day 5: Darjeeling/Gangtok
Day 6: Gangtok
Day 7: Gangtok/Kalimpong
Day 8: Kalimpong to New Jalpaiguri
Day 9: Mughal Sarāi/Varanasi
Day 10: Varanasi
Day 11: Varanasi/Lucknow
Day 12: Lucknow/Delhi
Day 13: Delhi
- Hotels/guesthouses (10 nts), sleeper train (2 nts).
Note: Allow USD300-390 for meals not included.
- Train (seats), train (beds), toy train, private van, walking.
- CEO (Chief Experience Officer) throughout, local guides.
- Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group
- Victoria Memorial visit
- Visit Mother Teresa's House
- Tiger Hill sunrise visit
- Tea estate visit
- Mahakal Temple visit
- Peace Pagoda visit
- Toy train ride
- Local lunch
- Rumtek Monastery day trip
- Deolo Hill visit
- Evening ghats visit
- Sunrise boat trip on the Ganges
- Bara Imambara visit
- Orientation walks in Darjeeling, Gangtok, and Kalimpong
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Any international flights to Kolkata and from New Delhi are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Northeast India & Darjeeling by Rail tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Bookmundi is partner with G Adventures. You're seeing real-time prices and availabilities.
- Save US$ 64 when booking on Bookmundi.
- Save +US$ 42 in Travel Credits on your next booking.
- Best Price Guaranteed.
- No Credit Card or Booking fees.
- 100% Financial protection.
- 100% qualified and hand-picked tour partners.
- +25,000 customer reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 of 5.0 possible.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 61 days before departure.Travel Insurance
Northeast India & Darjeeling by Rail tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Northeast India & Darjeeling by Rail tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Other Practical Information
- 1. Travel Style : RailGet closer to the big cities, isolated communities, and stunning landscapes of the world's greatest destinations via train-based adventures on iconic rail routes.
- 2. Service Level : StandardComfortable tourist-class accommodations with character; mix of public and private transport.
- 3. Physical Grading : 3 - AverageSome tours may include light hiking, biking, rafting, or kayaking in addition to walking.
- 4. Trip Type : Small GroupGroup trips average 12 travellers per departure, depending on the adventure. The maximum is usually no more than 16, but some can be smaller or bigger, depending on the trip. Check individual trips for details.