- Festivals and events
- Natural landmarks sightseeing
- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- duration 19 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 16+ yrs
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Explore the old spice town of Cochin
- Marvel at the beautiful palace in Mysore
- Madurai's magnificently carved Sri Meenakshi Temple
- Cruise the Keralan backwaters on a traditional houseboat
A region of great charm, southern India offers travellers beautiful cities, colonial hill stations, colourful temples, a relaxed lifestyle, attractive scenery and some of the best food in India. The major cities of the south were once princely capitals of the maharajas, and their magnificent remains contrast dramatically with the cool, mist-shrouded hill stations established by the British Raj. The natural scenery is also immensely rewarding; forest-clad hills slope down to a shoreline of shady lagoons, wooded islands, ancient spice ports and sandy beaches. This is an exceptionally varied and interesting trip and gives a comprehensive view of the whole of South India.
Day 1: Start Cochin.
Day 2: Explore historic spice port.
Day 3: Climb through Nilgiri Hills to Ooty.
Day 4: Relax, walk, ride or ride the miniature railway.
Day 5: To Mysore through Mudmalai and Bandipur N.P.
Day 6: Explore palaces and temples of Mysore.
Day 7: Mysore colonial and market tour; afternoon train to Chennai arriving in the
Day 8: Tour of Chennai; visit St Thomas Church; on to coastal Mahabalipuram
Day 9: Tour of World Heritage Mahabalipuram temples; free afternoon
Day 10: Drive to French colonial Pondicherry via Vedantangal Bird Sanctuary.
Day 11: Drive to historic Thanjavur through the fertile Kaveri Delta.
Day 12: Explore Thanjavur temple and palace; on to Madurai.
Day 13: Morning visit to Meenakshi AmmanTemple then free time.
Day 14: Westward to Kerala and Periyar National Park.
Day 15: Jungle walk in Periyar National Park; optional afternoon boat trip.
Day 16: To Alleppey; board houseboats for backwater cruise and overnight.
Day 17: Disembark houseboat and drive on to Kovalam coastal resort.
Day 18: Free day in Kovalam or optional visit to Kanyakumari the southernmost tip of
Day 19: End Kovalam.
- 17 nights hotels, 1 night houseboat , All accommodation
- All breakfasts, 1 lunch and 1 dinner included
- Transfer for group flights
- Group normally 4 to 16, plus local leader. Min. age 16 yrs
- Travel by air-conditioned private bus and train
- Diwali Festival departure available
- Any international flights to Kochi and from Kovalam are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this South India Explored tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 98+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this South India Explored tour. You can cancel the tour up to 62 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 61 days of departure.Payment
A deposit of 280 USD is required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 61 days before departure. For any departures within 25 January 2021 full payment is required.Travel Insurance
South India Explored tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this South India Explored tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour has received the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ stamp, which provides travellers with assurance that COVID-19 health and hygiene protocols have been adhered to.
- An average group size of maximum 10 people have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19. Local authority requirements will furthermore be followed.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this package tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.