- Cultural, religious and historic sites
- Overland Journeys
- duration 8 days
- tour type Group
- minimum participants 2
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 26
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Explore Khartoum & the historic Omdurman market
- Explore the mediaval ruins of Dongola
- Visit the preKushite Temple of Deffufa, a 5,500 year old Nubian archaeological site
- Visit Kushite temples and climb Jebel Barkal mountain
As a destination, Sudan is so often overlooked but to journey through the beautiful Nubian desert is a wonderful experience. Clustered along the banks of the Nile, are some of the greatest sites of antiquity. They may not rival Luxor or Abu Simbel in grandeur and scale, but in sheer, artistic beauty and isolation, they are second to none. The petit temples of Naga and Musawwarat are simply lovely, and the experience of camping under the stars in the wilds of the desert behind the Pyramids of Meroe is serene. Add in a boat trip across the Nile to the Temple Of Sulb, with its towering columns and you get a true sense of what is hidden in the Sudanese Sahara.
Khartoum, sits on the confluence of the Blue and White Niles, and across the river from the city in the plains of Omdurman, where we have the rare chance to witness the bizarre dances of the Whirling Dervish. This a raw and highly vital street display by Sufi devotees.
Day 1: Khartoum
Day 2: Dongola
Day 3: Dongola
Day 4: Karima
Day 5: Meroe
Day 6: Musawwarat
Day 7: Khartoum
Day 8: Khartoum
- Basic Hotel 2 nights
- Camping without facilities 5 nights
- 7 Breakfasts
- 5 Lunches
- 5 Dinner
- Overland Expedition Vehicle, Boat
- Two Dragoman Crew Members, Local Guides where necessary
- Any international flights to/from Khartoum are not included in this price. We always recommend that you arrive 1 day prior to your tour starting date.
- Travel insurance is not included in this Saharan Gems of Sudan & the Kush tour. Travel insurance is mandatory to buy. We recommend purchasing it from World Nomads.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Earn US$ 61+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Saharan Gems of Sudan & the Kush tour. You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 55 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 14 August 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 14 August 2021, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 55 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Saharan Gems of Sudan & the Kush tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Saharan Gems of Sudan & the Kush tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Local Payment The local payment is a group fund, paid separately from the trip price on the first day of the tour. It covers everything that the group does together on the ground. This is primarily hotel accommodation and campsite fees, meals whilst camping (but not while eating in restaurants), and included activities and puts money directly back to the local community. The local payment, or kitty system, is unique to overlanding tours and provides maximum flexibility and best value on the road - you can see exactly what is being paid for, you get everything at cost price, it keeps costs competitive by leveraging group expenses and saves on administrative costs. The fund is run by the tour guide, and any excess left over at the end is returned equally to the group. Local prices are estimated in USD when we print the brochure then reviewed monthly as local costs and exchange rates vary throughout the year. It's therefore important once you book your trip to check the website regularly and just before departure for any changes to the amount.