- Explore the hidden kingdom of Lo-Manthang in Mustang region.
- Wintess majestic views of mountains like Nilgiri, Annapurna, Dhaulagiri & others.
- Visit mysterious caves and cave temples in the Mustang region.
- Discover Pokhara, the lake-side city of Nepal with varied natural wonders.
The region of Upper Mustang is located in the north-central area of Nepal bordering China. Trekking into Upper Mustang is one of the popular treks. Mustang was made open for tourism only two decades ago as the government has kept this slice of Shangri-la closed to foreign visitors.
Thus, the region is also known as ‘the forbidden city’ or ‘Little Tibet’. The trekking trails of Mustang are filled with remote valleys, ancient settlements, deep forest, dry terrains. The prime feature of the trek is the visit to the capital of Mustang, the city of La-Manthang. Lo-Manthang is a walled city located in high altitude deserted terrain with age-old monasteries, caves where Buddhism is practiced by the locals.
Upper Mustang trek is a unique journey like being back in time and trekking in the high altitude deserted land with unparalleled majestic beauty.
Please refer to the itinerary section for day-by-day activities.
After landing at the Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu from your designated destinations, you will be received by a representative of the travel company at the arrival gate who will then transfer you to your allotted hotels.
The Kathmandu sightseeing trip will begin in the morning. After breakfast, you will be taken towards Kathmandu Durbar (Palace) Square, one of the heritage sites where you can view many historical and cultural monuments.
Later, you will visit another heritage site known as Pashupatinath Temple. This is a sacred Hindu Temple of Lord Shiva which is always crowded by Hindu pilgrims. After lunch, we visit the Buddhist pilgrimage Swoyambhunath (famous by the name of Monkey temple among tourists).
Likewise, Boudhanath Shrine will be covered by the evening. After concluding the sightseeing, there will be a seminar for you to attend to discuss the upcoming trekking plans.
After exploring the historic Kathmandu Valley, on the day, you will board a tourist bus which will take you towards Pokhara, one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country.
During this 6-7 hours bus ride, you can see Trishuli River along the way. You will reach Pokhara during the early afternoon hours. After lunch, you can wander around the beautiful lake city known for enthralling spectators with its superb mountain views.
You will have to wake up early as the flight to Jomsom leaves in the morning. The super scenic flight takes around 20 minutes to touchdown in Jomsom. You will have a whale of a time in the flight as you can see the most amazing natural views from the airplane window.
The trek to Kagbeni will start after lunch. You will reach Kagbeni before sunset where you will get ample time to stroll around the village.
Following some rivers over a series of small ridges, on the day, you will proceed towards Chele. During the trip, you will come across various black, red and white Chortens known as hallmarks of the upper Mustang region. You will reach Chele before sunset.
The trek towards Geling will continue in the morning. Hiking on undulated trails you will reach Geling, a small village in the district where the buildings painted in red symbolize monasteries in the region.
The trip to Charang is going to be an exciting one. On the way, you will come across different white dzongs and red Gompas. You will reach Charang for an overnight stay.
This is going to be an exciting day as you hike towards the walled city of Lo Manthang after crossing the Marang (Chogo) la (4230m). This is a historical town known for known for thousand years’ old monasteries, caves, arts and architecture of the local tribes. You will have to enter this picturesque city through a gate located in the northeast corner.
This day is reserved for exploring and sightseeing in Lo-Manthang.
Today, you will visit Gompas, ancient palaces, and few historical monuments. Also, you will visit few caves, and cave temples that typify upper Mustang.
Leaving the historical place behind, on the day, you will head towards Drakmar known for large tracts of terraced fields set against red cliffs. Also, you can also see many cave-dwelling in the area.
On the day, you will leave for Shyangmochen which is famous for a colorful chorten on the top of the Shyangmochen La. Form the high elevated village, you can witness a good view of surrounding mountains.
This day’s hiking trails are on the rougher side with scary slips and detours. However, you will proceed carefully towards Chhuksang, a village by the Kali Gandaki River.
The trails get smoother as you walk towards Kagbeni. Passing some forests and rivers you will reach Kagbeni for an overnight shelter.
This is the final day of the trek as you prepare yourself to hike to Jomsom following the lower altitude trail in the Annapurna region. Hiking past some dense forest area you will slowly proceed towards Jomsom. On the way, you will also see few monasteries that resemble unique Buddhist culture and tradition.
You have completed venturing Upper Mustang as you reach Jomsom. You can stroll in this beautiful place or relax in a lodge.
You have completed your trekking as you wait to board a Pokhara bound flight from Jomsom. You excitement level will proliferate as the plane flies between hills before it reaches to a required elevation. The 20 minutes flight will also give you a bird’s eye view of glorious Pokhara city by the time it prepares to land.
After landing at the Pokhara airport, the company representative will transfer you to your designated hotels. You can make the most of your day by going around the Pokhara city which will glorify you with its water beauties.
In the morning, you will have to pack your bags to leave for Kathmandu. For the return trip, you will be offered a choice either to fly or to take the road.
Whatever means of transportation you choose, you will be left with some time to go around the streets of the capital city for shopping. The day will give you a last chance to add up to your shopping list.
As per your flight timings, you will be escorted by one of the representatives of Breakfree Adventures to the international terminal at the Tribhuvan International Airport approximately three hours before your flight schedule from your hotel in Kathmandu. A day to bid farewell to the glorious country situated in the South Asia. While waiting for your flight, you can make plans to venture other destinations of the majestic country in near future.
We hope you had a lovely time with us. Have a safe flight back home!
- Airport transfers by private vehicle as per the itinerary.
- Three nights accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Kathmandu.
- Two nights accommodation with breakfast at a 3-star category hotel in Pokhara.
- Kathmandu city tours, including of all entry fees, tour guide and private vehicle.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) during the trek.
- Best available twin sharing lodge to lodge accommodation during the trek.
- Ground transportations from Kathmandu – Pokhara – Kathmandu transfers by tourist bus.
- Round trip flight fare from Pokhara – Jomsom – Pokhara.
- Highly experienced & friendly tour guide with a government license. Included: His food, accommodation, transportation, salary, equipment, and accidental insurance.
- Duffle bag, down jacket and sleeping bag during the trek.
- First aid medical kit.
- Special Trekking Permit (US$ 500 Per Person for 10 Days) If you wish to stay more than 10 days in restricted area, you are subjected to extra charge for extra days (US$ 50 per day / per person)
- Annapurna conservation permit fee.
- TIMS Fee - Trekkers' Information Management System (Please bring 2 passport size photos for permit)
- Government taxes & service charge.
- Breakfree Adventures T - shirt, trekking map and trip achievement certificate.
- Any meals other than breakfast in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
- Travel insurance.
- International airfare.
- Any kind of alcoholic drinks, hot water, hot shower, cold drinks, laundry, phone call, and internet.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Personal trekking equipment.
- Tips for trekking staff and driver (Tipping is appreciated but it is not mandatory)
- Nepal entry visa fee.
- If the above itinerary does not meet your needs, the provider can customized the itinerary as per your request to accommodate your specific requirements.
-Best Season: February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October & November are the best seasons for the Upper Mustang Trekking. The weather is sunny and warm offering outstanding views but the nights are cold and can fall to freezing in higher elevations. Trekking in summer/monsoon (June, July) is also good for Upper Mustang Trekking. The trekking routes are crowded during spring and autumn but during monsoon and winter the routes are not packed and you could enjoy rather best of nature.