- Restricted area for independent trekking without a company
- Rain shadow of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountains makes the trek a monsoon destination
- Vestiges of ancient culture that cremated bodies in sky caves, deep gorges and settlements
- Magnificent views of Himalayan Peaks
Hundreds of years back, Lo belonged to Tibetan rulers, hence Upper Mustang still widely practices Tibetan Buddhism. The area is also known as the Himalayan cold desert. Thousands year old Buddhist monasteries, colorful rock formations, and hundreds of caves are some of the highlights on this trek.
The Upper Mustang trek was not permitted by the Government of Nepal until 1992, though the area is restricted even today for individual trekkers or backpackers. June, July and August are the best months to visit the area.
Until recently, the Upper Mustang Trek was accessible only in camping mode but nowadays basic tea houses have made it easier for trekkers to get their meals and accommodation.
Upper Mustang area is also known as "The last Forbidden Kingdom" and Mustang Trekking is an adventure of a lifetime for anyone from anywhere in the world.
Please check our itinerary for day-by-day activities.
We will start our day with quick coffee in the hotel (if time permits) and head to tourist bus park to catch our bus to Pokhara. It's a beautiful countryside driving through beautiful towns next to Kathmandu - Pokhara highway. We will spend our evening exploring Lakeside; the queen of Pokhara city.(Breakfast)
We will drive to airport early in the morning to board our flight to Jomsom. It's 20 - 25 minutes scenic flight in between several Himalayan peaks. Jomsom is one of the biggest village of the Kaligandaki valley. We will complete baggage formalities then start the trek to Kagbeni. We will be walking next to dirt road heading to upper Mustang. We will have some grand views of Nilgiri Himalayas. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
We will complete immigration permit formalities in Kagbeni and start our journey heading to the northern side of Kaligandaki valley. It is a picturesque trail following the bank of Kaligandaki river.
We will be passing through several caves, monasteries, beautiful fields of barley, buckwheat, apple and wheat near Tangbe village. Continuing through the windy valley we will reach Chhusang village. We will cross a small stream and leave the Kaligandaki valley before reaching Chele for overnight. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
Once we continue a bit we will cross Kali Gandaki river and ascend towards the village of Samar. We will leave the chhortens behind before entering another valley filled with juniper trees.
We will have a great day with high altitude cold deserts in front and several panoramic white mountains behind. Continuing further we will descend to Shyangboche which is a small settlement of local people. From here the trail descends to Geling identified by a beautiful field of barley. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
We will enjoy our brakfast in the lodge before start our journey to Charang. Continuing our journey via dry and loose trail we will reach Ghami where we will pass through one of the longest Buddhist mani walls of Nepal surrounded by beautiful Himalayas at Ghami.
Continuing further will take us to the village of Charang for overnight stay. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
We will visit monastery in Charang village before we commence our journey to La Manthang. The trail is spectacular together with various Himalayan peaks including Annapurna I, Nilgiring, Tilicho Peak and Bhrikuti.
Encountering the isolated chhortens will differentiate Charang and Lo Manthang. We will continue our journey along the southern walls surrounding the valley. Here we will reach the Lo Manthang.(Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
We have walked from so far to explore the beautiful town of Lo Manthang. There are several things to explore around the town. We will be visiting few monasteries and visit the royal family of Mustang. We have the whole day to rest, relax and explore the beautiful valley of Lo Manthang.(Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
We will use a different route to Drakmar than the one we took while coming to Lo Manthang. Following several ups and downs we will reach Ghar where we will explore a monastery which is believed to be 1200 years old. Local people believe that any wishing made in the monastery is fulfilled. Continuing further will take us to Dhakmar village for overnight. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
We will take our breakfast in the hotel before continuing our trekking to Syanboche. Followed by several caves, we will ascend to the ridge above Ghami from where we will have great views of the pass and the long mani wall that we passed few days ago. Furthermore, crossing two beautiful passes will take us to Syanboche for overnight stay. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
We start our journey to Chele following the left side of the valley where we will meet flocks of sheep and goats grazing in the valley. Continuing the trail will take us to Samar, then Chele and then to Chhusang for overnight stay. We will have beautiful Himalayan scenery along the way. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
We will be following the Kaligandaki valley all the way to Jomsom. As soon as we reach Kagbeni we will reach the popular Annapurna Circuit trail and continue towards Jomsom following the Kaligandaki river. It's our final day walk so celebrating the end of the successful trek in Jomsom should not be missed. (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner)
We will first enjoy our last meal in the Himalayas. We will then proceed to airport to catch our flight to Pokhara. The flight is beautiful and flies between the Himalayas. The views from the windows are unimaginable.
Once we complete 20-25 minutes flight, we will catch our onward bus / micro van to Kathmandu. This will be a countryside drive on a public vehicle. The drive takes us via beautiful rivers, green hills and small settlements along the trek. (Breakfast)
- Kathmandu - Pokhara - Kathmandu transfers by tourist bus or public van (according to the timing)
- Accommodation in Pokhara (2 nights) with complimentary breakfast
- Pokhara - Jomsom - Pokhara domestic flights with all airport taxes
- Airport transfers in Pokhara by a private vehicle
- Nepal Government special permit for Upper Mustang restricted area
- Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) entry permit for all members
- Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) registration card for the trek
- All meals (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with 3 cups of hot drinks) during the trek
- Accommodation on cozy tea houses during the trek
- Government licensed and trained English speaking trekking guide
- All government and local taxes, company service charges etc are included
- First aid medical kit carried by the guide on the trek
- Complimentary welcome or farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- International air transfers, Nepal visa fees, travel and rescue insurance
- Accommodation in Kathmandu
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu, Lunch and Dinner in Pokhara
- Personal nature expenses (bars and beverage bills, cold drinks, mineral water, chocolates etc.)
- Costs arising from natural disasters, weather problems or anything beyond our control (Costs are not refundable or transferrable if you voluntarily leave the trek)
- Anything not mentioned in product includes section