- duration 6 hours
- tour type Group
- tour_type Group tour
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Turn yourself into a typical Kathmandu citizen for a day
- Join the stream of locals in their morning activities in historic markets, and Buddhist and Hindu devotees in the temples of Kathmandu Durbar Square and Swoyambhunath
- Explore the local market and shop (optional) for fresh vegetables and necessary ingredients for a traditional lunch
- Prepare the lunch with a local family
Ever visit a place and wonder what it's like to live there? This Kathmandu tour not only shows you the markets, squares, backstreets, temples, and courtyards of Nepal's capital but also includes a visit to a family home for a Nepalese-style lunch.
Experience the best travel stories for yourself. Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this city adventure hand-picked by the world's leading travel publisher. Lonely Planet Experiences powered by Urban Adventures bring stories to life in the best-loved cities around the globe.
Early wake-up and head straight to places of worship on foot. First up is Swoyambhunath, follow the path of Hindu and Buddhist devotees, circling the holy stupa and spinning the prayer wheels.
The mesmerizing wafts of incense, hypnotic chants of prayers and surreal sound of ringing bells will provide a spiritual high. Spiritually awakened, stroll through the maze of backstreets to Kathmandu Durbar Square, its numerous temples and its market. Pick some fresh vegetables, purchase some aromatic spices and all the other necessary ingredients for a local lunch (it’s your choice and we’ll put all our confidence in you to find the right ingredients!).
Well-stocked and well-prepared (at least mentally!), head to meet your host family. Lead the way or lend the hand as your hosts unveils the secrets of Nepalese cooking. Truly Kathmandu Living.
- meal and meal preparation with a local family.&Nbsp;
- Local English speaking guide
- taxi ride from Kathmandu Durbar Square to Swoyambhunath
- entry fees to Swoyambhunath & Kathmandu Durbar Square
- purchase of vegetables and fruits
- tips or gratuities for the guide.
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
Cancellation for this Lonely Planet Experiences: Kathmandu Living tour is free up to 48 hours before the chosen start date - full refund will be given. If cancellation is made less than 48 hours before the chosen start date, no refund applies.Payment
For any tour departures within 20 January 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 20 January 2021, a deposit of 100% is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 0 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Lonely Planet Experiences: Kathmandu Living tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Lonely Planet Experiences: Kathmandu Living tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.Meeting start point :
Hotel Marshyangdi, Chaksibari Marg, Thamel, KathmanduMeeting end point :
Hotel Marshyangdi, Chaksibari Marg, Thamel, KathmanduLonely Planet extras
- Free access to the Lonely Planet mobile app for one year
- 25% discount on all items in the Lonely Planet Shop
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- This tour follows established guidelines that are in line with the World Travel and Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travels’ framework against COVID-19.
- This tour follows the local government(s) recommendations for gatherings and group sizes.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing is highly encouraged on this tour. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected.