- duration 12 days
- tour type Group
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Kathmandu's temples & stupas
- Paro Dzong & National Museum
- Thimphu weekend market
- Dochu La Pass
Any visit to Bhutan needs to be combined with at least a little time in either Nepal, India, Thailand or China, and this tour takes in a few days in the Kathmandu Valley in Nepal at either side of your time in Bhutan. Bhutan is a unique and fascinating place, and your 8 days in the country allow you to explore several fascinating Dzongs, visit beautiful temples, and enjoy some short walks through spectacular scenery. Throughout the trip you'll learn about Bhutan's cultural and religious heritage and how it permeates everyday life. Travelling in Bhutan is a very different experience to nearby India, Nepal or China, and one never to be forgotten.
The tour starts in Kathmandu with a tour through its busy streets and surroundings seeing stupas, temples and palaces. After a spectacular flight to Bhutan (not included, see Tour Notes), you visit the Paro Dzong (a combination of a monastery, fort and town hall) and national museum and your guide begins his introduction to the country's history and way of life.
From Paro you follow slow winding roads through mixed forests and over the Dochu La Pass to the Punakha Valley. Here you visit the huge and beautifully situated Punakha Dzong and enjoy an easy riverside walk from a hilltop temple through mixed forest and fields of vegetables and chillies. We'll also visit the Phobjika Valley, famous for being the migratory destination of the endangered Black Necked Crane, and Gangtey Dzong.
We then time the tour to visit the capital Thimphu during the huge weekend market. Returning to Paro you climb up to Taktshang monastery (Tiger's Nest), possibly Bhutan's most famous and recognizable site.
When back in Nepal, you visit the ancient centre of Bhaktapur, the important Pasupatinah temple and Boudhnath stupa, and spend a night enjoying beautiful mountain views from the rim of the Kathmandu valley.
Day 1 : Arrive in Kathmandu, transfer to your hotel
Day 2 : Kathmandu tour to Durbar Square & Swayambunath
Day 3 : Fly to Bhutan, Paro tour
Day 4 : Cross the Dochu La Pass to the Punakha Valley
Day 5 : Valley walk, Punakha Dzong, drive to Gangtey
Day 6 : Phobjikha Valley walk, Gangtey
Day 7 : Drive to Thimphu via Wangdue Phodrang
Day 8 : Thimphu tours and weekend market
Day 9 : Taktshang (Tiger's Nest) walk, Drukgyel Dzong
Day 10 : Fly to Nepal, visit Bhaktapur ancient centre
Day 11 : Sunrise mountain views and villages, temples & stupas
Day 12 : Kathmandu, tour ends with airport transfer
- All accommodation in comfortable mid-range hotels
- All meals as indicated in the itinerary
- All transport in private AC vehicles with a local driver
- All transfers, including 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Services of a local guide throughout your time in Bhutan
- Services of a tour leader in Nepal and specialist city guide for Kathmandu tours
- Entrance Fees to sites visited
- Bhutan visa & tourism development fee (TDF)
- International Flights in and out of Nepal
- Return Flights between Kathmandu and Paro (see Tour Notes)
- Nepal multi-entry visa fee ($45)
- Travel Insurance (compulsory)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Drinks, snacks, tips and other personal expenses (e.g. laundry)
- Any other items not mentioned above
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 157 today.
- Earn US$ 104+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this Himalayan Kingdoms tour. You can cancel the tour up to 56 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 55 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 21 March 2021, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 21 March 2021, a deposit of 250 USD is required to confirm the tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 55 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
Himalayan Kingdoms tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this Himalayan Kingdoms tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Tours will be reduced to smaller group sizes to protect against COVID-19.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented per local government advice. Frequent disinfection of regularly touched surfaces is highly encouraged. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will be ensured in our accommodations and also during transportation.
- Several COVID-19 distancing measures have been adopted on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This package trip adheres to protocols which are in line with the recommendations from the World Travel & Tourism Council’s ‘Safe Travel’ guidelines.