- duration 25 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- max group size 16
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Trek through the Dolpo region on the sixth stage of the Great Himalaya Trail
- Witness one of the most beautiful places in the Himalaya, Phoksumdo Lake
- Cross the Jungben La (5550m) & Niwas La (5120m)
- Experience culture which has remained largely unchanged for the last 1200 years
Experience the medieval fortified village of Chharka Bhot, the nomad camps in the heart of Dolpo, Dho Tarap, and a fitting finale at perhaps the most beautiful place in the entire Himalaya, Phoksumdo Lake.. Until 1996, Dolpo was a forbidden land with an authentic Tibetan culture largely unchanged for the last 1200 years. High, arid plateaus scarred by deep canyons form Upper Dolpo, which is a distinct contrast to the fertile lower valley to the south of the Kanjiroba and Dhaulagiri ranges. This 6th stage of the GHT trail snakes along the natural border of the two regions, at times exploring one and then the other. We'll frequently meet nomads from Tibet and explore ancient Buddhist sites. After the major trading valley of Dho Tarap we cross windswept passes to the astoundingly beautiful Phoksumdo Lake before returning to Kathmandu.
During this trek there will be sections where the trail is very rugged or ill-defined. Space in some camp sites will also be very limited. It may be necessary to make changes to the itinerary at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as adverse weather, snow or trail conditions, river water levels, or group movement. Your trip leader will advise any changes should this occur. All participants on the GHT should be flexible and open minded. The GHT should be seen as exploratory in the true sense of the word.
Day 1 : Arrive Kathmandu
Day 2 : Free day in Kathmandu
Day 3 : Fly Kathmandu to Pokhara
Day 4 : Fly Pokhara to Jomsom (2760m)
Day 5-6 : To Muktinath (3760m), walk approx. 6hrs. Rest day.
Day 7 : To Goat Kharka (3478m), walk approx. 6hrs.
Day 8 : To Santa (3778m), walk approx. 7hrs.
Day 9 : To Ghalden Ghuldun Khola (4247m), walk approx. 6hrs.
Day 10-13 : To Lalinawar Khola (4800m/ 4hrs). Cross Jungben La (5550m) & Niwas La (5120m) to Nulungsumda Kharka (4987m/ 7hrs) & Chharka Bhot (4302m/ 6hrs). Rest day.
Day 14-16 : To Chap Chu (4320m/ 7hrs), Maran (4350m/ 8hrs), & Nungmala Base Camp (4440m/ 6hrs).
Day 17-20 : To Bagala Base Camp (4500m/ 6hrs), Temche (3900m/ 7hrs) & Ringmo (3641m/ 4hrs). Rest day.
Day 21-22 : To Chhekpa (2720m/ 5hrs) & Dunai (2140m/ 5hrs).
Day 23 : To Juphal (2475m), walk approx. 4hrs. Fly Nepalgunj.
Day 24 : Flight Nepalgunj to Kathmandu
Day 25 : Trip concludes Kathmandu
- Accommodation at the Radisson Hotel in Kathmandu
- Accommodation in our fully serviced wilderness campsites
- 24 breakfasts, 21 lunches and 21 dinners including all meals on trek valued at US$1000
- Flight Kathmandu/Pokhara/Jomsom & Nepalgunj/ Kathmandu valued at US$549
- Expert bilingual guide and group medical kit
- Safety equipment including satelite phone, portable high altitude chamber and expedition medical kit
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters to carry all personal and group equipment and porter's insurance
- Lunch & dinner in Kathmandu
- Bottled water, aerated & alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc
- International flights
- Airport and departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 319 today.
- Earn US$ 212+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this GHT Upper Dolpo Traverse tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
For any tour departures within 03 January 2022, full payment is required. For tours that depart later than 03 January 2022, a deposit is required to confirm this tour, and the remaining balance will be charged 69 days before trip departure.Travel Insurance
GHT Upper Dolpo Traverse tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this GHT Upper Dolpo Traverse tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.
How much money do I need to bring with me?
Your personal budget obviously depends on your spending habits and what is included in your trip cost. If accommodation is included, but meals are not, we would suggest that you bring around 30 USD per day per person for meals. Having a hot shower or charging your device sometimes costs extra. There are also sometimes small crafts/souvenirs to buy along the trekking route which you may want to bring extra money for. Also, consider whether you would be staying in Kathmandu or Pokhara before or after your trek.
- How does it work with a porter?
Is a visa on arrival available?
Typically, yes. However, in response to the current Covid situation, rules for arriving visitors may change frequently and sometimes without notice. It may be necessary to obtain a tourist visa in your own country before travel. For updated information on visas, please check the Nepal Tourism Board and the Government of Nepal Immigration websites.
- Is quarantine in Nepal in effect for arriving visitors?
- What happens if someone gets altitude sickness, does the rest of the group continue on?