- duration 34 days
- tour type Group
- age requirement 18+ years old
- guiding method Live Guide/Instructor
- Join one of the most challenging and rewarding treks that crosses the Sherpani Col (6180m), West Col (6190m) and Amphu Labsta (5845m)
- Marvel at superb views of Makalu & Everest combined with two high pass crossings at Cho La and Renjo La
- Learn the art of alpine travel from our experienced local mountaineering guides
- Revel at the magic of the Khumbu region through authentic Sherpa and Rai villages
This stage of the GHT is undoubtedly the most challenging. We cross the highest passes in the Himalaya including the Sherpani Col, West Col and Amphu Labtsa, all above 5500 metres, enroute to the Everest region before crossing the Cho La to Gokyo Lakes. This trek is unsurpassed in terms of awe inspiring views of the most famous mountain region in the world.. The approach to Makalu Base Camp has been compared to the Yosemite Valley, on a grand scale! To reach some of the most amazing mountain scenery in the Himalaya, you first have to cross the challenging Kongma Danda covered in cloud forest draped in hanging orchids. There are few villages along the approach to the fifth highest peak in the world, Mt Makalu (8485m), the summit of which stands 3km above Base Camp. The mountaineering route over the glaciated Sherpani Col (6180m), West Col (6190m) and Amphu Labsta (5845m) to the Everest region involves the highest and hardest passes in the entire Himalaya, however the rewards of such an undertaking are more than worthwhile! During this trek there will be sections where the trail is very rugged or ill-defined. Space in some camp sites will also be very limited. It may be necessary to make changes to the itinerary at any time due to unforeseen circumstances such as adverse weather, snow or trail conditions, river water levels, or group movement. Your trip leader will advise any changes should this occur. All participants on the GHT should be flexible and open minded. The GHT should be seen as exploratory in the true sense of the word.
The Australian Himalayan Foundation is dedicated to helping the people of the Himalaya achieve their goals through supporting and overseeing education, health, cultural and environmental projects. With a $100 donation for every booking on the GHT World Expeditions will help support sustainable tourism development in regions less frequented by trekkers. For full information please refer to www.australianhimalayanfoundation.org.au.
Day 1 : Arrive Kathmandu
Day 2 : In Kathmandu (1330m)
Day 3 : Fly Kathmandu to Tumlingtar, drive to Num (1040m).
Day 4 : Trek to Seduwa (1500m), walk approx. 4.5hrs
Day 5 : Trek to Tashigaon (2100m), walk approx. 5hrs
Day 6-7 : Trek to Kongma Danda (3500m), walk approx. 7hrs.
Day 8-10 : Trek to Dobato & Yangla Kharka (3557m). Rest day
Day 11-12 : Trek to Langmale Kharka (4400m / 5hrs) & rest/acclimatisation day
Day 13-14 : To Makalu Base Camp (4870m), rest/acclimatisation day.
Day 15-16 : To Swiss Base Camp (5150m/5-6hrs)
Day 17-18 : To Sherpani Col Base Camp (5700m/6-7hrs), cross Sherpani Col (6180m) to Baruntse High Camp (West Col @ 6100m), walk approx. 10-12hrs
Day 19-21 : Cross West Col to Honku Basin & Amphu Labsta Base (5400m)
Day 22 : Cross Amphu Labsta (5845m) to Chukung (4730m), approx. 10-12 hrs.
Day 23-24 : Trek to Dingboche (4360m), Dzongla (4843m)
Day 25 : Cross Cho La to Gokyo (4759m)
Day 26 : At Gokyo, ascend Gokyo Ri (5483m)
Day 27 : Trek to Renjo La high camp, walk approx. 4hrs.
Day 28 : Cross Renjo La to Taranga (4368m/6.5hrs)
Day 29 : To Thame (3820m/3hrs).
Day 30 : Trek to Namche (3440m), walk approx. 5 hrs.
Day 31-32 : Trek to Ghat (2600m/ 6hrs) & Lukla (2800m/ 2hrs)
Day 33 : To Kathmandu by air (1330m)
Day 34 : Trip concludes Kathmandu
- Airport transfers if arriving on day 1 and 34 or if you booked pre/post tour accommodation at the Radisson through World Expeditions
- Accommodation at the Radisson Hotel in Kathmandu
- 33 breakfasts, 30 lunches and 30 dinners including all meals on trek valued at US$1350
- Flight Kathmandu/Tumlingtar & Lukla/Kathmandu valued at US$306
- Expert bilingual guide
- World Expeditions mountaineering leader
- The use of a World Expeditions trek pack which includes a quality sleeping bag, down or fibre fill jacket and insulated mat (valued at over US$500)
- Climbing pack including ice axe, crampons, harness and helmet
- Safety equipment including portable altitude chamber, group medical kit, satellite phone and oxygen cylinder for emergency use
- Souvenir World Expeditions kit bag
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits
- Porters to carry all personal and group equipment and porter's insurance
- Sightseeing and site entry fees in Kathmandu
- Lunch & dinner in Kathmandu
- Bottled water, aerated & alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc
- International flights
- Airport and departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
- Real-time prices and availability.
- Save US$ 309 today.
- Earn US$ 205+ in travel credits.
- Best price guaranteed.
- No credit card or booking fees.
- 100% financial protection.
- 25,000+ trip reviews, with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5.
- Read more reasons to book with Bookmundiless
No additional cancellation fees apply for this GHT Makalu & Everest Traverse via Sherpani Col tour. You can cancel the tour up to 70 days prior departure and avoid paying the full amount, but your deposit paid is non-refundable. No refund applies for cancellations within 69 days of departure.Payment
A deposit may be required to confirm this tour. The remaining balance will be charged 69 days before departure.Travel Insurance
GHT Makalu & Everest Traverse via Sherpani Col tour requires that you have adequate and valid travel insurance covering medical and personal accidents, including repatriation costs and emergency evacuation. We recommend using World Nomads' travel insurance.Visa
For this GHT Makalu & Everest Traverse via Sherpani Col tour getting the required visa(s) is the responsibility for each individual traveller, as visa requirements vary depending on your nationality. We recommend to check with your local embassies representing the countries that you are travelling to, as part of this itinerary.For Solo Travelers
A twin share room may not always be available for solo travelers as it depends on the final number of people on the tour. If you have picked twin share room while booking, and that option is not available, we will get back to you after booking. A single room might then be available against an additional fee.COVID-19 Safety Measures
This trip incorporates the following COVID-19 measures:
- Smaller group sizes have been implemented on this tour to protect against COVID-19 and to ensure that the tour complies with local authorities’ guidelines.
- Wearing a mask, hand washing and sanitizing has been implemented on this trip. Frequently touched surfaces are regularly disinfected. Hygiene safety measures and distancing will furthermore be followed in transportation, accommodation and meal venues.
- A multitude of COVID-19 distancing measures have been implemented on this package tour to keep travellers safe.
- This tour has obtained a COVID-19 CLEAN accreditation from Quality Tourism Australia.